PDA

View Full Version : DigiCam & Driver again!

B.M.
22-08-2004, 12:42 PM
I give up! After all the trouble installing the driver for my new Digicam (because the CD ROM’s DMA was enabled) (see previous post) I am now faced with it not working. I couldn’t count how many times I’ve uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still no go. I’ve even downloaded the driver from the manufactures website but no difference. So here’s where we’re up to.

The Camera is a Genius G-Shot D610.
The Driver is Called D610.exe (hmmm, that sort of follows)
The Operating system is win98se

OK, the driver seems to install OK and if I plug in the Camera connector to the USB port and double-click on My Computer I have a new Icon labelled “Removable Disk [G]” So far so good.
Now, if I then double-click on this Icon I get “Device Not Ready” “Retry or Cancel”

My understanding is that at this stage I should be able to see a folder and in turn the photos stored in the camera.

Moving along, if I go Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Disks Drives I have a Digital Camera along with two generic IDE drives and a generic floppy. Double clicking on the Camera advises, “This device is working properly” (wish it was)

OK, if I now go to Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Hard Disk Controllers I find two additions, A “Digital Camera USB MSD” & “USB Mass Storage Device”.

Again, double-clicking both these new entries advises “This device is working properly” (again I wish it was!)

The problem appears to be the computers inability to read the data in the Camera storage.

The USB ports have never previously been used on this computer so I went looking in the BIOS to see what I could find but drew a blank. I turned on the USB Keyboard support but I’m afraid that changed nothing.

Going back to Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers I See I have three entries: Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, a USB Composite Device, and a USB Root Hub.
Double-clicking each of them advises that they are working properly! (dahhhhh)

Sooooooo, any suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Bob

Spacemannz
22-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Some digital cams have a button on the back, you have to press in order to activate it. Has yours got one on it?? Like I use the Creative PC-Cam 850. When I plug this into a USB port XP knows its there. BUT in order to use it , I have to press the mode button on the back of it, and the LED on the back lights up. Then it's all go.

Graham L
22-08-2004, 01:56 PM
It might be a mode setting in the camera --- many must be set in a non-picture-taking mode to talk to a computer.

What a good present. It has given you hours of happy computer playing with a real intellectual challenge. :D

@#$%%^&* thing. Why doesn't it just work?X-(

godfather
22-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Standard reply these days (particularly for Windows 98SE) is to never use the supplied software, but to get a simple card reader ($45 or so).

The driver software for these is usually much more reliable than the camera drivers in my experience.

B.M.
22-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Ohhhhhhh,>>>/.//>>?! It just gets worse.

I snuck up and loaded the driver onto wife’s computer, (an action that could well jeopardise my well-being) and >>>//<<,?! me if her computer can see the files no problem! She runs Win98se as well.

Sooooo, it’s not the camera and not the cable. Her machine is a P3 and mine a P2mmx. I’ll go and pour myself a beer on the “bowser computer”, load the driver and see what happens down there. That runs ME.

I think we’ve eliminated the button problem Spacemannz but thanks for trying.

I think these kids like to have their dad on Graham. The daughter bought one of those computer, scanner, printer packages and the scanner wouldn’t work. What’s she do but goes and buys a new one that does work and gives the wonky one to dad. Two years later it still sits in the corner having never scanned a picture. I wouldn’t know how many drivers I’ve tried but looking up E-Lux (the scanner brand) on google provides many laughs as others describe the shortcomings of this particular brand.

Your suggestion GF is a good one but hell that would be admitting defeat.
:D

Spacemannz
22-08-2004, 04:25 PM
It may also depend on how many watts your power supply is, and what else is plugged into the USB ports. And how many other devices are installed (ide devices). If the USB devices arent powered thru a hub, and you have a few USB devices, they'll use up whats left of the power supply