PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Temp

ApeNz
22-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi

Some people may remember my last post about CPU temp but now i think its seroius. I have a AMD XP 2800 + and its running at around 65 Degrees C ( Motherboard says ) , and around about 45 degrees according to my fan controller which has its temp probe just out the outside of the CPU die. I sometimes get the Blue Screen Of Death while doing normal things ( once i was logging off , once i got out of doom III and it died ). What do you think i can do ? , i don't know whether this is serious or not , could someone please advice me

Thanks

the highlander
22-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Using the stock heatsink and fan ?
How many case fans ?
What type of case ?
Where is the comp physically located -enclosed space, desktop, on floor etc.
What have you tried so far ?
A few more details would be helpful. :-)

Murray P
22-08-2004, 01:41 AM
65 deg is not that serious, blue screening for no apparent reason could be, but the info is incomplete, what does the BSOD tell you, relay that information here.

If you are at all worried about the temperature check the seating of the heatsink, if I remember correctly your fan was spinning in the 4500-5000 range so that shouldn't be a problem. For preace of mind get yourself a decent HSF if your still running the stock. I can recommend the Zalman (http://www.zalman.co.kr/) CNPS flower coolers (all copper is the most efficient), I have two installed, one on a PC that had a hot running CPU which now happily sits around the 40 deg mark from 65-high 70's + and thats with the fan predominantly directed at the video card whos fan spat the dummy and no longer works.

Get back with the BSOD info and take it from there.

Cheers Murray P

Big John
22-08-2004, 01:45 AM
> Hi
>
> Some people may remember my last post about CPU temp
> but now i think its seroius. I have a AMD XP 2800 +
> and its running at around 65 Degrees C ( Motherboard

When is that? My P4 3.2Ghz runs at 66 degrees while playing games and doing really grunty work but once it is idling it drops back to about 33 degrees.

> outside of the CPU die. I sometimes get the Blue
> Screen Of Death while doing normal things ( once i
> was logging off , once i got out of doom III and it
> died ). What do you think i can do ? , i don't know
> whether this is serious or not , could someone please
> advice me

It could be memory related. I had problems with the memory in my PC and it would display symptoms like that. I finally had to get some cheaper memory and run it at a slightly lower clock speed and everything was perfectly stable after that.

tweak\'e
22-08-2004, 12:33 PM
cpu temps don't mean a lot without known the situation your useing it in. eg idle, full speed.

what is the case temp?

what is the room temp?

quick way to see if its an over heating problem is to take the side of the case off and use a household fan to blow lots of COOL air into the case.

Growly
22-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Go down to the petrol station, get a bag of ice, wrap it in cloth, and leave it a cloth or other insulator, and put it in the case - then see if the a) the temperature drops and b) if the thing keeps killing itself.

FeuerBrennt
23-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Take a look at my temp stats: (out of the ordinary!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sensor Chip
Chip Name IT8705F/8712F
Manufacturer Inside Technologies
Access Mode ISA at Address 290h

Voltages
CPU Core 1.63V
+2.5V 2.50V
+3.3V 3.33V
+5V 5.19V
+12V 11.90V
-12V -12.60V
-5V -4.75V
+5V Standby 5.05V
VBat Battery 3.18V

Cooling Devices
CPU Fan 3971 rpm

Temperatures
Motherboard 46C
CPU 127C
Power / Aux 16C

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Generated by FreshDiagnose (c) 2004, FreshDevices, Corp.
Monday, Aug 23, 2004 08:57:30 pm

Murray P
23-08-2004, 11:11 PM
You still have the same issue you had before, that is the sensor is misreporting the CPU temp. At a 127C you would not be blue screening, it would be dead, burnt to a crisp. That is not to say that your system is not running hot, there is just no way of knowing with the sensor reporting way over the top inaccurate figures like that. If the board is still under warranty get the sensor replaced.

While 46C seems a bit hot for the case temp in the middle of winter the temp could be skewed by such things as inaccurate sensor (it is very common but not so bad usually as your CPU temp), warm location of the PC case, not enough airflow around and/or in the case, a frying CPU ;). Get yourself a thermometer, mesure the case temp then deliberately drop the temp as described before (not the ice method), all the while monitoring the readings from your onboard sensors and comparing with the thermometer. This will give you an idea of what is going on.

Suspect a faulty CPU sensor or even the wrong type installed although I don't know how that would happen or if at all possible.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
24-08-2004, 12:56 PM
A temperature of "127°" is very suspicious. My years of playing with numbers in computers lead me to the deduction that that indicates a missing/not connected sensor in an 8-bit A-D system which uses signed arithmetic. 127 is the highest positive number you can get in that system. :D

ApeNz
24-08-2004, 02:02 PM
I have got three 80mm case fans running in my ATX case with is big ( 4 external 5.25 inch and more ) , so basic air circulation is not a problem. The case temp gets up to around 30 degrees under intence useage and the room its in around 18 - 25 degrees. What i just done is decresed the FSB so now my processor is running like a AMD XP 2200 + and that made a huge difference it now only gets to around 50 degrees. Idle temp is around 55 degrees when my CPU is running at a 2800.

tweak\'e
24-08-2004, 03:19 PM
55 degrees at idle is fine. case temp is fine to. i doubt your problem is due to over heating.

does it crash when under clocked?? if so you might have a chipset or ram problem.

odds are tho that its a software issue.

ApeNz
24-08-2004, 04:11 PM
It hasn't crashed yet but that may be becasue i have been using my system with caution only doing basic tasks and not playing any games.

ApeNz
24-08-2004, 04:14 PM
While we are on the topic of Temperatures , My video card seems to get up to around 60 degrees after i have been playing Doom III for a while ( video card = Ati Radeon 9200 128 Meg ) , It only has a heatsink no fan ( thats the way it came in the box ). Is this normal especially with a game like DOOM III. Does anyone think i should put a fan on the heatsink to cool it down

Murray P
24-08-2004, 04:22 PM
60C is fine.

Cheers Murray P

ApeNz
24-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Cool , Thanks alot. Im going to get myself one of those flower coolers from http://www.quietpc.co.nz , they look really good and look cool to ( great for my case window )

mr_rix
24-08-2004, 10:28 PM
>Temperatures
>Motherboard 46C
>CPU 127C
>Power / Aux 16C

The sfotware you are using is messing up the feed (possibly, you selected the wrong motherboard when you installed FreshDiag).

It should be:

Temperatures
Case 16C
CPU 46C
Power / Aux 127C

Those seem right. :)

mr_rix
24-08-2004, 10:37 PM
My specs & temp:

AMD 2800+ overclocked to 2300mhz with stock cooling (woot) runs at around 41 while idle & jumps to about 49 when playing Halo (also woot).
I have a Asus A7V600 (and again, woot)

Oh, and my mobo is at 25.

mr_rix
24-08-2004, 10:39 PM
How are you playing DIII on a 9200? 9200s don't even support DirectX 9!

I got a PV fx5200 that struggle to play halo at 1024*768

ApeNz
24-08-2004, 10:46 PM
yeah they do , you only need a 8500 - i know what i am playing and i have 9b installed ,