PDA

View Full Version : laptop has my hard drive disabled

lulupompom14
21-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I have a phoenix ver 1.1 bios running on my laptop lifebook, PIII a few years old now. I have just recently got a message no fixed disks present. as i was having probs with my hard drive(no operating system found errors)
I thought it had finally died sooo i got a new 40 gig to replace the 20 gig and now the laptops bios is saying primary master = NONE and says it is disabled? i have tried to turn it to auto (autodetect)but it will not do it. does anyone have any ideas as to what has gone wrong here? Pleaseee
and of course i cannot fdisk anything as the laptop can't find the hard drive.
tia

Megaman
22-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Welcome to pressf1

Did you install the drive? If so, did you make sure you put in everything you took out (With the exception of the old hard drive)? If it was someone else, it's their fault they didn't make sure it was working, and ask them to fix it (Free of charge if you only got it done recently)

lulupompom14
22-08-2004, 11:28 AM
megaman

yes i did it myself and i have put everything back in i doubled checked everything but am at a loss as how to let the bios undisable it. So do u think the cable is had it?

godfather
22-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Does your BIOS actually autodetect the new drive parameters?
Sounds like it does not recognise it, so you may have to manually enter all the parameters (heads, cylinders, sectors).

If a BIOS is too old to recognise the drive, this can happen. Its even possible that it will not accept the parameters at all, but you need to try.

Its obviously not a direct replacement (40 GB vs 20 GB) so is "not compatable" with autodetect.

The drive parameters should be available on the drive label or on the makers website.