PDA

View Full Version : Re Chat f1

Pauline
21-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I managed to get in there. I had a new password issued to me. Are we able to create our own passwords or do we have to stay with the emailed one?
Mine is not easy to remember with capitals as well as lower case letters & it's not even a word.
Pauline.

Murray P
21-08-2004, 08:25 PM
That's the best type of password to have Pauline. I hope you don't use real words for other passwords because you are leaviing yourself vulnerable to be cracked in a matter of minutes if not seconds. This is not one of my passwaords but is typical of what I use: i928H^n?5. Write yours down somewhere safe with a cryptic description in case you forget it.

Cheers Murray P

rugila
22-08-2004, 10:22 PM
> I hope you don't use real words for other passwords because you are leaviing yourself vulnerable to be cracked in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

Id like some clarification on this.

Are you saying that any combination of purely alphabetic letters, alternatively any whole word in an English or other dictionary, is likely to be cracked in minutes or seconds?

Whereas if it contains other symbols or numbers it is less likely to be cracked, or will not be at all, or may take longer. How much longer?

Seems considerable dangers if what you say reflects what happens.

Is there a good website on this topic?

Like, how would anyone even know you were in a password-using situation, and what is the method (key-logging?) by which they would crack it?

And is this sort of thing very prevalent for say sensitive (eg bank or other financial) passwords?

And are there other means other than indefinitely trying to complicate passwords to avoid it. SS

And what sort of person is doing or attempting the cracking? Is this some of the internet searchers, or someone with physical access to your computer, or is it just a phenomenon peculiar to ChatF1?