PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream on Win 98

Cymbalz
21-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Could I expect Jetstream to run on a 6 year old machine using Windows 98?

Oxie
21-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Cymbalz

I have Jetstream running on XP and Windows 98 - no problems at all.

Oxie (Lyn)

godfather
21-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Should be no trouble at all, provided you use an external ethernet connected router.

Windows 98 was not too good with USB, and early versions may also have problems with PCI card support for some ADSL modems, but ethernet should work just fine.

Murray P
21-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Jetream doesn't run on your PC as such, it's delivered to it or more correctly it's a method of exchanging data. As Oxie has mentioned you should have no troubles but, if your PC's specs are a bit light by todays standards it would be better to use an external ethernet ADSL router rather than a PCI ADSL modem or a USB one. The latter two use your PC's recourses in order to operate whereas the ethernet one does its own processing and only requires that your PC has an ethernet card (= LAN, NIC, Network - PCI card) and you system is capable of exchanging data with the router. The router also gives you better security from intrusions and, in my opinion, generally smoother setup and operation especially if you want to share the connection with another PC('s).

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
21-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Yahha! :O Cripes where did you come from Goddie, did I take that long to type that??

Cheers Murray ;P

Cymbalz
21-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Thank you both for your help. I wonder if it's just time to take a big breath and trade my computer and move up.

Greg S
21-08-2004, 07:29 PM
> Should be no trouble at all, provided you use an
> external ethernet connected router.
>
> Windows 98 was not too good with USB, and early
> versions may also have problems with PCI card support
> for some ADSL modems, but ethernet should work just
> fine.

I ran adsl happily on my Win98 with a PCI adsl modem

Cymbalz
21-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Are these routers dearer to buy than a "Normal" one. I presume that they would be compatible with a new XP machine in the future

Murray P
21-08-2004, 08:11 PM
The router, which are actually a combined router and modem, are more expensive than the PCI modems although they have come down in price considirably you get more for your money. As Greg says a PCI modem may well work perfectly well in your machine, then again it may not. Then there are the other obvious benefits of an ethernet router/modem as per above. It will also work well with whatever hardware or OS you have, it is an almost independent system.

Cheers Murray P

Cymbalz
21-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Could you give a ball park estimate of cost of such a wonderful modem

tommy
21-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Have a look here. (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_1847.html)