PDA

View Full Version : DVD writers - ext. or int.?

J ZEP
21-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi guys, I am finally going to get myself a dvd writer, but was hoping for some feedback before i take the plunge.
Mainly wanted to know if there is any reason not to go for External? Thought it would be most handy being able to move it between my computers, which is main reason for going external. However have heard a few stories about externals being a bit problematic??

Can anybody give me any pros and cons of going External Vs. Internal (apart from the obvious - price) - i.e performance, known probs etc...

Anybody have preferences to which brand?

Are externals Usb? I presume...

TIA

godfather
21-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Externals are USB, and unless you have USB 2.0 support on your motherboard, don't consider external. The data speed will not support any reliable burn speed.

Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers - look for a "USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

If it does not say "Enhanced" you have only got USB 1.1

J ZEP
21-08-2004, 02:11 PM
> Externals are USB, and unless you have USB 2.0 support on your motherboard, don't consider external.

> Universal Serial Bus controllers - look for a "USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

Thanks GF, unfortunatley i don't appear to have USB 2.0 support :-(, so i guess that solves that problem. Internal it is ;-).

Cheers for that bit of info GF, most helpful :-), would have been just my luck to go buy an external and have no joy :-(.

O.k so now i know i have to go Internal, any preferences on brands etc...??

Cheers

Dolby Digital
21-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Although it is slightly more complex and possibly more to go wrong, just say you really wanted an external DVD writer on USB, and you have a spare pci slot, you could install a USB 2.0 pci card.

Elephant
21-08-2004, 02:50 PM
About 2-3 moths ago I bought a Asus Dual format DVD burner and might add I am quite happy with it. It hasn't seen a lot of use though so can't comment yet on the long term.

If I was looking at buying today I would be looking to get a
LG Electronics GSA-4120B DVD±RW/±R/RAM Dual Layer 12R/12W/5RAM/4RW.

This will do triple format and dual layer and thus will store double the data that my Asus will do and for about the same price I paid.

This will not tempt me to get a new one just yet though.

Definitely look for dual format and dual layer.

Elephant
21-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Errk!!! For "moths" read "months". :-)

J ZEP
21-08-2004, 03:29 PM
>If I was looking at buying today I would be looking to get a LG Electronics GSA-4120B DVD±RW/±R/RAM Dual Layer 12R/12W/5RAM/4RW.
>
>
> Definitely look for dual format and dual layer.

Thanks for the feedback Elephant, the one thing i "had" decided, was i definatley want to go for the dual format/layer option ;-), i think it will be a real bonus!

Hi DD, yes indeed that would be an idea, however as the main reason i wanted to go External would have been so i could move it between computers and the other one is not Usb 2.0 supported either (now i have checked), i think i will stick with the Internal now. Cheers.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
21-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I purchased an Optorite DD0201 from QMB at the start of the year for $179 + gst.

To start with I had major issues with burns, not reading on most players even when burnt at 1x. If I burnt at 4x then the only thing that could read the Disc's was the burner itself :-(
I figured I had got what I paid for - a cheap burner :-(

I had a friend suggest to me that I flash the Firmware.
I went to the manufacturers website, got the latest, flashed it without a hitch and now I couldnt be happier! Burns at 4x will work on ANY DVD player Ive tried! Im overjoyed with its abilities and would recommend it to anybody.

You can pick them up for around $139 now IIRC.
Its Dual Format +/- 4x2x4x :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Elephant
21-08-2004, 09:03 PM
> > Definitely look for dual format and dual layer.
>
> Thanks for the feedback Elephant, the one thing i
> "had" decided, was i definatley want to go for the
> dual format/layer option ;-), i think it will be a
> real bonus!
I think you are correct. Thanks for the reply too and I wish you luck in your purchase.

J ZEP
21-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info Chill, sounds like a really good deal;-), i guess that one wouldn't be dual layer? or would it? I am still learning the ins and outs of dvd drives, but from what i have learnt i would like to definatly go for the dual layer as well as dual format so i can get the extra data out of it. I believe its the dual layer that gives me this? or am i wrong there? Was hoping to get at least an 8x burn speed if possible...

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
21-08-2004, 09:51 PM
8x burning will need a pretty grunty PC, what spec's is the PC you plan to run it on? 8x is a DVD in 8 minutes..... 4x is a DVD in 16....

No, mine is not Dual-Layered.... Sadly.... :-(

J ZEP
21-08-2004, 10:42 PM
> 8x burning will need a pretty grunty PC, what spec's is the PC you plan to run it on?

:O Oh o.k - well thats handy to know, its just that all the ones i have looked at seem to be 8x speed so far - i could always write at 4x or lower with an 8 speed though eh? or can't i do that? As i say, i don't know alot about dvdwriters, i presumed they would be similar to cdwriters in that i could write at a slower speed if necessary?

Going on the times you gave Chill, i doubt i would be able to write at 8x then on this system :_|, but can i still write at a slower speed like with a cdwriter in Nero?

Specs on this are similar to one you have/had IIRC - amd athlon xp 1600+, 512mb ram, 60gig Hdd -- presume the cpu speed would be the most important and thats where this will fail miserably :-(.

Chilling_Silence
21-08-2004, 11:01 PM
You should be able to burn at 8x, but I may be wrong.. 4x definately....

Just bear in mind that 1x DVD is roughly 8x CD-Burning speed!

Yes, if you buy an 8x Writer now, you can always burn at a slower 4x should your CPU not be able to handle it.... IIRC, it _should_ work fine though :-)

Chill.

metla
21-08-2004, 11:10 PM
The minimum specs for running a dvd writer are an 800mhz cpu.

Dual layer are no good for backing up movies(at the present time),the finished product is not compatible with dvd players,Media is hard to find and expensive.

Chilling_Silence
21-08-2004, 11:44 PM
I would follow with what Metla said and get a 4x or 8x Single Layer, Dual-Format DVD+/-RW Drive :-)

J ZEP
22-08-2004, 12:35 PM
> I would follow with what Metla said and get a 4x or 8x Single Layer, Dual-Format DVD+/-RW Drive

Cheers Chill and like we talked about, no biggee if i can't write at 8x on this sytem, but it will be handy when i upgrade the cpu eventually...
>
>
>
>>> The minimum specs for running a dvd writer are an 800mhz cpu. Dual layer are no good for backing up movies(at the present time),the finished product is not compatible with dvd players,Media is hard to find and expensive.

Thanks for that info Metla, to be honest i am not too worried about movies at the moment, i am more interested in being able to back up larger amounts of Data - However... it would be nice to be able to do movies, so i will bear your advice in mind ;-). In the end, even if i don't go for the dual layer, it will still make an extreme difference in the size of backups i can do B-), but it would have been nice to get that extra bit more though too if possible from the dual layer... but going from 700mb to 4 gig is going to be awesome to start with, let alone if i "could" use the dual layer...
Cheers :-)