PDA

View Full Version : JUST LOST MY INBOX

olldaddy76
21-08-2004, 01:18 PM
O E XP PRO MICROSOFT outlook JUST USING COMPUTER AS NORMAL......
no idea what I did wrong..search for .dbx files and find 5 which I can not open and which are not meant to be opened. not a single file in my inbox and I had 600...I have just remembered it asked me if I would like to compress old files and I said YES....!? HELP PLEASE

stu120404
21-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Hello olldaddy76 :)

First calm down

Second
> no idea what I did wrong..search for .dbx files and
> find 5 which I can not open and which are not meant
> to be opened.

Can you explain more here?

> not a single file in my inbox and I
> had 600...I have just remembered it asked me if I
> would like to compress old files and I said YES....!?

Can you explain more here?

The more information you give us the better we can help you

What version or OE are you using?

Is the problem you are having is it with Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook??

Murray P
21-08-2004, 01:37 PM
If I remember correctly, in OE go to File > Import and choose Messages, you will probably have to browse to the inbox.dbx files and try them all untill you hit the jackpot. Compacting should not have deleted the files just some of the extraneous info that comes with them is is no longer required.

Cheers Murray P

Jim B
21-08-2004, 01:38 PM
You should not be using the Inbox to store messages, it is not designed for this.
You should delete messages or move them to another folder.

This from http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone.

First check the obvious. Click View | Current View and be sure it is set to "Show All Messages". Also verify that "Show replies to my messages" is not checked or you will see only replies to your messages.

In the case of a damaged "Inbox.dbx" file, a new Inbox with the default "Welcome to OE" message will have been created automatically, and will now be using the file "Inbox(1).dbx" or similar. Likewise a new *.dbx file will have been created for any of the "system" folders that are damaged, Drafts, Deleted Items, Outbox and Sent Items. If your default email account is Hotmail or IMAP, the associated files will be named like "Hotmail - Inbox.dbx" or "<IMAP account name> - Inbox.dbx", etc. However the original *.dbx file will still be there, although OE will be unable to display it.

If the damaged *.dbx file still exists, or its temporary version *.dbt, move it to a new empty folder in Windows Explorer. You can then try DBXtract to extract what messages it can.