PDA

View Full Version : Google: Will the slagging begin?

Baldy
21-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Now that Google has become probably the most successful American public company, with a stock exchange value of $US27.2 billion, I wonder if the tall poppy sydrom will kick in and people will start slagging them.

And to think they started in a garage 6 years ago - using borrowed computers. The outcome added billions to Google's corporate coffers and made billionaires of its founding pair, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, each of whom held onto most of their shares and woke up today $US3.8 billion the richer for it.

Megaman
21-08-2004, 12:56 PM
I have dibs on 2 weeks :D

Murray P
21-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I don't see any real evidence of predatory behaviour, invasive or monopalistic practises.

They've kept it relatively simple; provide a basic service, do it well and add incremental improvements that add to the service rather than just the price without impacting on your choice of whoever elses service you may wish to try.

They have crawled then walked and now they are jogging along. Now they are spreading into other areas and this is where they may come unstuck in the users perception of them, trying to be all things to all people is fraught with difficulty and is rarely successful long term. Staying where they are is not an option either, there are some big players eyeing up there territory, hopefully it will remain competative, if they fail non-captive users will simply move their allegence to another service and Google know this well.

Cheers Murray P

Odin
21-08-2004, 02:01 PM
While I agree with you about the way google have developed, they are now a public company with shareholders. And the only thing shareholders want is a return on their investment, it will be they who dictate how this return is generated, and so we may well start seeing some of the practises that we hold in contempt become a part of the way google is run. One however hpoes that this will not be the case.

Murray P
21-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Google at the Inq (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17996) tells a tale.

Cheers Murray P

Odin
21-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Nice article :D

Graham L
21-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Shareholders want managers who will do things to increase the share price. They don't seem to understand (or care) that a steady increase in share price is exactly like blowing up a balloon. At some stage it bursts.

We can still enjoy Google while it lasts. ;-)

Dolby Digital
21-08-2004, 03:49 PM
>>And to think they started in a garage...
Like Apple did. Now where is that garage??

Billy T
21-08-2004, 04:40 PM
> >>And to think they started in a garage...
> Like Apple did. Now where is that garage??

And HP!

I was in my garage this afternoon resizing a pallet for an overseas shipment. I expect great things in the future when I capture 95% of the world pallet resizing market with my ultra-simple handsaw, pinch bar and claw-hammer technology.

I will fight open-source pallet resizing through the international courts tooth and nail, and woe-betide anybody who clones my pallet dimensions or resizing hardware specification.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

R2x1
21-08-2004, 05:01 PM
>I will fight open-source pallet resizing through the international courts tooth and nail,
>and woe-betide anybody who clones my pallet dimensions or resizing hardware >specification.

Well done Billy T,
it is only fair to warn you that your Pallett, like many aothers may come under the applicable sections of my pending patent. I intend to patent the principle of lifting the pallett from underneath by means of forked or non-forked tongues of metal or other material, for the purpose of lifting, storing or moving any goods that are not palletts. Further, a suspended or slung pallett is for the purposes of this pallett patent considered to be a lifted pallett.
The patent additinaly covers the principle of interposing the pallett between the load and the earth for the principle purpose of doing something with the pallett, the load or the earth.
It amazes me to think that none of the many pallett manufacturers did even the simplest research to ensure they did not conflict with a patent yet to be requested.
Any box or sack will be covered under the "Look and feel" of the system clauses.

Billy T
21-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I believe our interests can co-exist in the pallet marketplace R2. My system and patents wil apply to pallets with one T, and I recognise your right to patent coverage of pallets with two T's (hereinafter known as a pallett)

Therefore, all varieties of lifting methods, manipulation and spatial positioning of said pallets will not be in conflict with similar art proposed for pallett manipulation and positioning.

We could of course join forces and set up Pallet & Pallett (Sizing & Lifting Systems) Inc., clean up the international market, then sell out to an international conglomerate of exporters and retire to enjoy our unconscionable wealth.

Later on I might consider buying Microsoft to give me a hobby interest.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) B-)

zminos
21-08-2004, 06:55 PM
god, and then I have to go and read about IBM suing SCO for "breach of GPL" over SCO using IBM coding in a *nix version! lol

I want to patent my new form of shrink-warpp for the pallet and pallett thing going on.... BTW it also is quiet usefull for uh tying things up.

:D

Poppa John
21-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I Love it, I love it. Yes this is a computer forum. BUT.... these will probably br "Computerised" Pallets/ Palets PJ

Poppa John
21-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Baldy, maybe when Google gets "Bad" then Sergey & Larry will sell their interests & start again.. Hope springs eternal in the goodness of (some) human beings. PJ

Elephant
21-08-2004, 09:46 PM
I want to work at Google. Looks like a good environment and I can take my pet. My current pet is a cat named Mushka and is 14 years old. Can I take my Wife ( also my Pet ) and slightly older?

:-)

george12
22-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Your cat's the same age as me! I love google - eveyone does. Google is expanding into new services like e-mail, but I don't see Google OS's and coming out and people using Google as their ISP. The slagging will never begin.

And I wanna work at Google too.

metla
22-08-2004, 02:32 AM
I would love to see a Google OS on the market.

zqwerty
22-08-2004, 02:38 AM
http://douweosinga.com/projects/googlehacks

Mike
22-08-2004, 02:57 AM
> My current pet is
> a cat named Mushka and is 14 years old. Can I take my
> Wife ( also my Pet )

Your wife is a 14yo cat??? :D :D :D :p

Mike.

R2x1
22-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi Billy T
There is a good reason for double T (or T/T) to be used.
In lieu of R&D, I used R&R, since I am naturally more proficient in the latter. After the first "R", a Tea break is called for. Midway through the second "R" (or R2) another Tea break is normally scheduled. After the program has been running, a "/" (or slash) is called for, and as the things progress, more "/" than "T" is needed. To much undiluted "T" may be harmful, so a fermented beverage is called for as a diluting agent.
The end result of the continuing dilution is a tendency toward P/P/ale/PP/T.
This is hard to pronounce (As are a lot of words at this stage), so pallett is used as a compromise.
I hope this will not conflict with your patent/t
Could we compromise on the co-development of a pallettised bar? (To be patented of course)
R2

Graham L
22-08-2004, 03:28 PM
And™ I clean up with my trademark on the™ articles (definite and™ indefinite) and™ . Any publications you make or documents you produce on your goods handling malpatent will be difficult without using my trademarks. All I need now is a™ lawyer who won't leech all my proceeds. ;-)

R2x1
22-08-2004, 03:52 PM
> All I need now is a™ lawyer who won't leech all my proceeds.

That appears to be an oxymoron, or an impossibility. Certainly without precedent.
Sorry Winston001 ;)
R2

godfather
22-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Following ™from ™Graham ™L ™I ™have ™now ™applied ™for ™teh ™patent ™for ™teh™ ™use ™of " "™ (that's ™da™ ™space ™character).

I ™am ™refraining ™from ™using ™Grahams ™patented ™characters ™in ™this ™posting.

My ™patent ™is ™based ™on ™teh ™use ™of ™da™ ™simple ™device ™for ™separating ™words.

Also ™I ™have ™applied ™to ™patent ™teh™, ™da™, ™plz™, ™yr™, ™u™, ™neway™™, ne1™ ™just ™to ™prevent ™their ™use ™by ™anyone ™in ™forums, ™+ ™to ™encourage ™correct ™english ™at ™teh™ ™same ™time ™as ™giving ™me ™an ™income.

Billy T
22-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Graham

You are too late!

If you search PF1 you should find the post where I pre-emptively patented the use of the letter E. This patent includes lower case, italicised and bold forms, as well as all font styles and hand written script, though as part of my ongoing support for youth education I will grant licenses for E to be used free of charge up until the age of 17 or conclusion of tertiary studies, whichever comes first.

This constitutes prior art, therefore your purported trade marks are null and void due to my outrageous monopoly on the use of the letter E.

Lawyers will be charged triple the going rate, unless working for me.

You will be hearing from my Attorney.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

R2x1
22-08-2004, 06:45 PM
>You will be hearing from my Attorney.
>
And your bank will be communicating with your attorney's bank.
And after reading GF's post, twice, my optician will be hearing from me
R2