PDA

View Full Version : Engineering a scanner

nomad
21-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I got a old scsi scanner that weigh about 10kg. it was still working and I bumped onto a site like this http://willshak.com/scanner/

so i opened it up v easily with a T-15 screwdriver.

got access to the mirrors, his method was the 5P model, I have a IICX model (HP) but he says v similar and pple had success with the IICX too. when i cleaned them i put the three mirrors back in, one of hte plastic clips i broked, i used some blue tak! but i think its ok as its on the side where the clip was.

so i put it all back and all i get is a bright light on at the start edge and the scanner head does not move to the other end when its turned on. when i fire up the software and run it, it starts and stays there, when the light lights up on one edge only and about couple of mins it gives up saying sorry there is an error with the scanner.

so if anyone is knowledgeable in this area, is the problem lie when the mirror is placed the wrong way, one side is reflecdtive and the other is not. or is the problem somewhere else?

i also cleaned the sensor too, not pose a problem right?
i used lens cleaner and lens tissue the ones avail from camera shops. the same ones i use to clean my digital SLR's megapixel sensor.

Thanks.

godfather
21-08-2004, 01:41 PM
The problem could be anywhere really, its impossible to tell.

These are critically aligned devices, and you have no alignment test equipment.

Servicing is not that easy even for the service agent with all the required info and gear, so your outcome is entirely expected.

zqwerty
21-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Somewhere on this vast site is an article on doing exactly what you have mentioned. Someone had found yellow lines down the side of every scan they did and the solution was to dismantle the scanner and clean the mirror, I sem to remember that they used distilled water to clean the mirrors which fixed the yellow line problem. I have this problem with my scanner but since I normally scan only small pics I just position them so that there is not a problem. Sooner or later I will be fixing it myself though, as the scanner is old it doesn't matter anyway if I break it, I will just get another one. There is second hand equipment everywhere these days at low prices.

zqwerty
21-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Ooooops got so carried away with writing I forgot to post the link:

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sup_scanner.html

godfather
21-08-2004, 02:47 PM
As you say, the hardware is "expendable" these days so in that case nothing is lost. It can be "fun" in that case.

My comments above should be expanded to clarify that nomad's problem is more than just the mirrors. The scanner head does not move and the light is not extending across the bar by the sound of it.

There are therefore some massive issues that have been caused by the "repairs" assuming it worked in the first place. More than one issue is involved.

zqwerty
21-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Agreed.

R2x1
21-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, just going from line 1 of the first post, it was working 'till he/she fixed it. :) The trouble probably arrived with the first fingerprint and escalated to the current state X-( The trouble with these digital pieces of equipment is that they are accustomed to electronic binary digits. Organic decimal digits are incompatible, except in very rare circumstances.
Murphy wrote about this.
R2

cos thats the way it is
21-08-2004, 04:59 PM
your big mistake was removing the mirrors.

For those of you who wish to do this in the future never remove them.
clean the mirrors as they are in there holders. The problem now is the angles will be all wrong especially since you broke one of the holders.
On start up the scanner will be looking for a calibration plate. either a white plate or a bar code situated up underneath the top cover. As the angles are all wrong it wont be able to find it.

Good luck trying to realign them

nomad
21-08-2004, 07:02 PM
hey guys, its now working!
yes i did not had to remove the mirrors, i could had cleaned them on the HP II series. The 5P series you had to, accordin to his article.

i used some blue tak those half plastic/metal wires twisting things to tie the mirror back.

i think the problem before was that that mirror was loose or off aligned at one end.

yes i shoud not had removed the mirror but cleaned as it was. what is more impt i found out was the sensor. if you clean it, you need to do a couple of test runs, as the first time it had yellow grind at the right side after a scan. i cleaned that with aid of a torch. i still have 2 cotton bud marks or dust marks. that is fine thou. all in all v good. hope it cured yellow streaks, as i had them before when i was scanning in photo color mode but not all the time, i also had light yellow color when scanning white ie.. a letter in color photo mode, this has fixed this v well, although i don't think any scanners can provide pure white when scanning in photo mode, the printer will at least print something out...

:-)

nomad
21-08-2004, 07:05 PM
it even had some cobb webbs inside.
the II version had plastic clips, by the photos the 5 model had metal clips. ha. no wonder. ;)

nomad
21-08-2004, 07:08 PM
re aligning was not that hard as i had the other clip that was working. i was loose basically. i used blue tak and those metal twisting wires.

it is a 10yr old scanner, good its out of its coma for another generation.