PDA

View Full Version : Notepad

colin_s
21-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi,

How do I stop "Notepad" booting on startup. It's most annoying. Tried changing notepad.exe to notepad.sav but it just reinstalled itself on the next startup. Have used startup manager to check for a notepad entry but there is none!!

Help...

Colin

johnboy
21-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Do you get a error message there is a possible solution here (http://www.altaser.com/show.php?r=50) wether it applies to you or not??.
hth

johnboy
21-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Mskb article
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330132) looks like you need to look for "Common Startup" in msconfig.
hth

Vince
21-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Notepad is part of the OS, Why do you want to get rid of it? Vince

colin_s
21-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your response Vince,

I don't want to get rid of notepad, I just don't want it on my desktop at start up! Only when I want to use it...

Colin

Rob99
21-08-2004, 02:52 PM
If you are using XP have a look in the startup folder in statr > All Programs > Startup and if is there delete it.

colin_s
21-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks Johnboy...This may be the answer!

colin_s
21-08-2004, 03:10 PM
No error messages, just notepad loading at startup. Nothing in the start up menu, and using System Mechanic, nothing in the registry or anywhere else obvious..Still need help...Colin

Elephant
21-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Have you run Msconfig yet? If not then start > run. Type in msconfig and see what is running on the startup tab. Also check win.ini and system.ini for run command entries.

colin_s
21-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi Elephant,

Will try the msconfig routine shortly and let you know how I get on...thanks for your help so far

Colin

Vince
22-08-2004, 12:21 AM
MS knowledge Base has this (I typed NotePad Startup into XP Help) - Method 2: Use the System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) to Disable the Startup Item
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
Click the Startup tab.
Click to clear the check box beside any desktop entries in the Startup Item column that are listed as Common Startup in the Location column, and are also located in any of the following locations (as indicated in the Command column):
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
Click OK to quit the System Configuration Utility.
Restart your computer and verify that the issue is resolved.

Vince