PDA

View Full Version : System settings change

Teldave
21-08-2004, 02:34 AM
When I boot up the System Settings Change box appears.
The message is "To finish setting up your hardware, you must start your computer.
Do you wish to restart your computer now?

If I startup again always the same message, clicking No causes the computer to finish booting up.

Win 98 Any idea's?

Thanks Dave

Laura
21-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Well for starters, how long has this been happening?

What have you changed since everything was OK - new software programmes downloaded or new hardware added?
(Hardware would seem to be the answer, according to the message, but not neccessarily)

Have you by any chance run the free Microsoft upgrade CD recently? My experience was that I left it incomplete the first time & it needed to be run again to finish part of the 98SE programming.
Post more information & I'm sure you'll get more advice.

Peter H
21-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Click on the Yes, and let windows do it's thing.
Bye

Teldave
23-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks but thats exactly what was happening boot after boot, every time I clicked yes the cycle began again.

I have sorted it now, it was the audio card, it seems two sets of drivers were trying to load.

Thanks
Dave

Teldave
23-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your post. I had formatted the drive after a virus fix slowed the computer right down and disabled IE6. I loaded up the OS and got that problem as well. I also got a bios fault that eventually came clear as Windows sorted out the IO settings. The machine is a HP, it seems I have fixed the problem by deleting a unknown device in device manager. I'm fairly sure it was another audio driver trying to load on bootup.

Thanks again.
Dave