PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP & writing cd's

R.M.
20-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi all - I'm in the UK, and using a friend's computer. He has Windows XP home, without a dedicated cd writing program (I use Nero at home).

I am trying to copy my photo files off the compact flash card and then write them to CD. Using the Wizard, I find that it reassigns new file names (I want the ones assigned by the camera). I can get the files onto the HD without file name change, but then I can't get the Wizard to write to CD.

Looking back through the 'search' for PressF1, I see that my problems aren't unique. But I wonder if any reader can help me with this....

By the way, whilst it is raining here in Scotland this week, it is nice and warm. I sympathise with all of you and your weather probs. We left home last Saturday morning in the snow, and I think were lucky to get away from Invercargill.

Cheers
R.M.

godfather
20-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Can you not just locate the files on the HDD (using Windows Explorer) and drag and drop them on the CD drive icon?

Or, using Windows Explorer again, just right click on the photo files on the HDD and choose "send to" and select CD Drive.

In either case, a little window should pop up on the task bar informing you that files are waiting to be written to the CD.

At any stage (now or later) you can just click on the CD drive under Windows Explorer and a window will open showing the files and giving you the option of writing the files. Once written, they should be accessible on the CD.

R.M.
20-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Godfather - thankyou for that. However.... I tried dragging and dropping, and it went to the CD Writing Wizard, went through the process (I thought), and then popped up a window which said "Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard" , what do you want to do?

Do you think it might be complaining about my Harvey Norman CD's? I never had any problems with them at home though. Just a thought.

:(
R.M.

godfather
20-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Its possible I guess. But most CD-R should be OK.

As long as they are not CD-RW, they are the flakiest of media.

Ashka
21-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Checking the total size of the folders etc when copying to Cd via windows explorer is always a problem. It will baulk if one asks it to put too much on the Cd.
I also usually use Nero but had to use w explorer yesterday.

chiefnz
21-08-2004, 07:56 PM
This might be a longshot but...

Open "My Computer" right click on the CD_RW drive.

There should be a tab which says CD writing.

Make sure that the tick box is check so that it enables the drag 'n' drop cd writing function.

Give it a go, I'm not sure if that is the problem but it's worth giving it a go.

cheers

chiefnz

Vince
22-08-2004, 12:39 AM
>
> Open "My Computer" right click on the CD_RW drive.
>
> There should be a tab which says CD writing.
>
> Make sure that the tick box is check so that it
> enables the drag 'n' drop cd writing

On my Dell XP system the relevant tab is DLA - (Drive Letter Access)
Vince