PDA

View Full Version : New Paradise Plans Suck

Big John
20-08-2004, 06:45 PM
I got a nice e-mail from the team at Paradise today outlining their new plans but hey wait a minute, they look just like the JetStart plan I am on now. 128K speed, 10GB for $60.
Whoops missed a bit their. I also have to change my account from Telecom to Telstra if I want to do this.

Well you can imagine the reply that I e-mailed them and basically told them to get their heads out of the sand and get some real plans with real speeds and stop forcing me to choose my phone company or else they might just lose a long term customer they have had now for many years.

Almost worth going the Xtra for something like that.

Almost I said.

whetu
21-08-2004, 08:58 PM
from paradise to xtra? one evil or another? get a real ISP like InSPire, at least they have people with a clue ;)

Growly
21-08-2004, 09:00 PM
>get a real ISP like InSPire, at least they have people with a clue

Probably because they have like two people....

Murray P
22-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Haven't read mine yet BJ, if it's as you say it is they'll be getting a get well card from me too.

Basically I'm hanging out for some impending announcements re cable, if they ok I'll be ditching Paradise Jetstart and plugging in to 2Mb/sec and a 5G cap.

Cheers Murray P

george12
22-08-2004, 01:20 AM
I like the sound of that cable Murray - how much???

Don't ever use anything except Orcon, even before the new plan you get a static IP for free which means you can register a domain to it and serve. Works great. Try http://internal.jgih.com. Not too bad speed? It is a testing environment mirroring http://www.jgih.com. If you're not on Orcon yet and don't want to change your e-mail address, just leave an e-mail account with your old ISP and make it foward. Works a charm.

George

Terry Porritt
22-08-2004, 07:37 AM
It is all very odd. I haven't had anything from Paradise re: new plans, but below is part of their reply to me on 8th August when I asked them what inducement they could offer me in order to retain my custom.
This was after arranging to go to 256k adsl from 128k:

>>Currently, we are finalising out Jetstream re-sale offering and hope to have full details on prices, plans and how the change will take effect out to all Paradise customers by the end of the month.

>>I do not have specific pricing yet but they will be competitive with other ISPs, if not slighly better.

>>In the meantime, I have added your name to a priority list to be contacted as soon as all information is available. Thank you for your patience!

By 'end of the month' presumably they meant end of August.

Sprbro
22-08-2004, 08:33 AM
A few more than two Growly. I have used Inspire for a while now and they are the most proactive, community orientated ISP I've come across. Nothing is too much trouble and they will even send a tech out at no cost to set up your internet connection if they can't talk you through it over the phone. Waiting till they get a good broadband scheme (it Telecom ever let go), then I'll be into it.

TonyF
22-08-2004, 09:24 AM
> Basically I'm hanging out for some impending
> announcements re cable,
Hello Murray. I don't know of "impending announcements". ?????

My 2 Meg connection is just fine - costing $1 a day more than I was paying Paradise for dialup !! 250KByte DL speeds now seem routine - how quickly we adjust ...
Tony

PressF1 User
22-08-2004, 11:05 AM
"they will even send a tech out at no cost to set up your internet connection if they can't talk you through it over the phone"

Now that has to be a first? Never heard of a NZ ISP doing that before - well done Inspire :-)

davidb
22-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Did you know that if you're an existing telecom customer and change to an identical plan from another ISP, that ISP then gets charged a churn rate from telecom for takingtheir customer? Dirty telecom....!!

What announcements you waiting for re: cable internet murray?

Murray P
22-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Currently we have a home line and cable TV (1234,etc, Saturn & Sky) with Saturn (Tesltra as it is now) and my home office line with Telecom with 128 Jetsart via Paradise. I have always had the intention to hook up to the cable for interent but,I never liked the idea of paying $17-/mth rental for a crappy modem so left the cable connection in limbo, now the modem rent is down to $10.95/mth and things seem to be stirring a bit on the competition front but, not enough IMO. At the mo, it would cost me another $15- odd dollars a month to connect to the cable but keep my Telecom business line (that's based on a package of phone + TV + Internet which sabes about $13-/mth).

Anyway, I rang Telstra (Paradise) on another mattter and they asked if there was anything else they could help me with, to which I replied yes, when is the rent on the cable modems coming down to a rate where it would not be considered theft. I got the party line that it would be staying where it was but that there would be new announcements re cable and other offerings in early September. I took that as being new plans applicable to existing cable coverage areas not re roll out of more cable as I already have the cable installed [TV] and it would be pointless telling about a new roll out but who knows for sure, they were very coy with the info. Being the miserable suspicious sod I am, I also thought it coyuld be just a bit of fluffery to stop existing customers stampeading off to Orcon with the deals they are/were offering before Telecom yanked the rug.

Cheers Murray P

davidb
22-08-2004, 02:05 PM
fair enough, the rental is a bit expensive - just loked up the price of the modem I have and it's US$75, a years worth of rental. Up side to rental is that if it goes faulty it doesn't cost anything to get a new one!! Still rather have my cable modem than dsl though...

Wonder what the news will be in sept?

TonyF
22-08-2004, 02:17 PM
- just
> loked up the price of the modem I have and it's
> US$75, a years worth of rental.
Motorola Surfboard ??

davidb
22-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Motorola sb5100

TonyF
22-08-2004, 03:52 PM