PDA

View Full Version : Configuring a VPN, I need to ask someone who knows how

robo
20-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi
I know a couple of people who want to configure VPNs to allow connection from home to their system at work. Fine, in principle.

As an experiment, I thought I would configure one and see how it performed, to see if protracted lengths of time using it is practical. Bad idea.

I am sure I am missing some of the basics (well, a lot of the basics) but it shouldn't be that hard. I am using a Linksys AG041 gateway with built-in VPN hosting. Have even managed to establish a link between it and the client PC (a PC in the house I have disconnected from the local network).
But now what? I can't access anything, I think I might be bumping into NT security, but I can't see a link between the security policy editor and using the RAS-like VPN connection in Windows XP. I can't establish a link with the VPN Connection thing, but I must have done enough in secpol to establish a link because the router log says in pretty blue letters:
2004-08-20 16:19:12 IKE[1] Set up ESP tunnel with 203.118.141.112 Success !

Anyone out there in the know on this that might take pity on someone who should know better?
robo.

Megaman
20-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Have you set (In network settings) to allow incoming connections from the internet?

CYaBro
20-08-2004, 06:10 PM
So you set up a username and password in the router for a VPN connection.
What type of VPN did you set up? IPsec or PPTP?

If your are using the router as the VPN endpoint then once you have connected to it it should be the same as if you were connected to the local network. i.e. your VPN connection should get an IP address in the same range as the remote PC.
So you should be able to connect to the remote Windows XP PC with Remote Desktop Client if you want to just by putting in it's IP address.
Or you should be able to do a search for the remote PC's computer name.

Megaman
20-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Another thing to try.
In Network Connections, click "Make new connection". Select "Advanced connection", and check "Allow incoming connections".

robo
20-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I used IPSec.
That's the thing, I kind of expected that once the connection was set up it would be like a slow network connection.
You can define a VPN connection through the tool you use to create a dial up networking account, which allows you to use existing domain and username security. However, that won't connect to the IP address.
I suppose I could try remote desktop client, that might work.
I can't ping the ip address of the server, but for a while it came up with a security resolution type thing instead of a time out (and it didn't seem to be an error).
Anyone know of a site that goes through the concepts and shows sample connection scenarios?
robo.