thanks again

pulling hair out
20-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks merlin_nz.

Marg.

Billy T
20-08-2004, 05:55 PM
A quick question merlin:

If AVG auto-updates, why do people need to be told there is an update out? Is it only the paid version that updates?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqwerty
20-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Speaking for myself, if I enabled auto- update what time would I set it to since I don't know when I will be online. If I could set it to check for updates as soon as the browser is open which is not an option then it would be doing things when I might be in a hurry to have a look at something else, I am on dial up.
Thus being able to take a look on PressF1 and see if Merlin has warned of an update is extremely useful to me.

I for one am very grateful to him.

merlin-nz
20-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks zqwerty

Billy awhile back a lot of people were having problems with the auto updates as well as myself.

I think it was GF that posted a link to the AVG D/Load page and I book marked it and started doing the updates manually.

So started the <Another AVG Update>.

I sure someone started it before me and I noticed that the update had not been posted so I posted one and since then I seem to post the new update in case anyone is on auto and is having a bit of a problem or forgot to update.

Hope that clears it up for you.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

tommy
20-08-2004, 06:57 PM
> If AVG auto-updates, why do people need to be told there is an update out? Is it only the paid version that updates?

The free version will update itself but only at one set time per day. If the computer is not online at the time scheduled for AVG to update then it will be postponed until the next time the computer is online at the scheduled time. merlin-nz's notifications of new AVG updates are useful reminders to manually update AVG rather than wait for the program to update itself.

Laura
20-08-2004, 07:07 PM
I endorse what zquerty said.
Also on dialup, I began with auto-updates.
But whichever time I chose was either offline or it interrupted me - and Merlin's reminders are a better alternative. He's a real gem & I too am grateful..
(Occasionally I've had a check-up burst myself - and posted an update before he did. Gentleman that he is, he's said he doesn't mind someone else getting in first. It's the information that counts.)

Billy T
20-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks Merlin and all other who replied. Now I understand the reasoning. I guess I was restricted in my perspective by my experiences with NAV, which auto-updates whenever it has new defs, regardless of the time, and catches you very quickly after you go on line.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tommy
21-08-2004, 12:17 PM
>NAV, which auto-updates whenever it has new defs, regardless of the time, and catches you very quickly after you go on line.

The paid version of AVG 7.0 is able to detect the internet connection and can be set up to check for updates upon detection of the connection to the internet, similar to NAV.