PDA

View Full Version : Boot disk for Fedora Core 1

chiefnz
20-08-2004, 06:57 AM
I have installed Fedora Core 1 on my PC.

The weirdest thing though is that it won't make an emergency boot disk.

The message I get is " the kernel files are to big to fit on a floppy disk."

I don't understand this as I have installed Fedora previously from the same set of CD's and I could get the emergency disk fine.

One thing I have noticed is that there are 2 kernel options in the GRUB menu... they weren't there the last time I installed Fedora... the kernel versions are the same (2.22) but there is a npkl at the end of one them (I can't remember exactly what it is.... "npkl" I could be wrong)

Despite this Fedora runs like a dream... I'm quite stoked actually as I compiled my own modules for the LAN card and got my network all sorted quick as a flash... I never thought I'd make sense of the readme file.

Incidentally has anyone had any sort of trouble installing Fedora Core 2, I have the CD's but when I try to install it... I typed linux isa at the prompt... my PC keeps restarting... there's nothing wrong with the CD's as I have checked the MDsums.. I think that's what it's called and they all matched... I even did the media check before installing and all the disks passed fine.

Has anyone else had this problem with Fedora Core 2?

PS NOTE TO Chill and JenC

Just thought I'd let you know that I got mp3 support installed, mounted my windows partitions and everything all on my own... thanks to your help from my last LINUX post ages ago.. I've vowed to go cold turkey on Windows XP this weekend to get a better feel for Linux.

It's not a long weekend is it... :(

cheers

chiefnz

Chilling_Silence
20-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Try typing:
failsafe
At the Fedora Core 2 Boot prompt.

Chill.

JohnD
20-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Have you tried:
1. Using uname -a to find the actual kernel version number

2. mkebootdsk --device /dev/fd0 2.6.xxxxx

or is it makebootdisk?

That way only one kernel will go to the floppy disk.

John

Graham L
20-08-2004, 04:17 PM
You should be able to make a grub boot disk,then manually boot. Have a look at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/20000421113083825 and http://www.desktop-linux.net/grub.htm .

It's a good idea to have a floppy with a file made with
dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 of=hdambr.dat. The reverse operation
dd if=hdambr.dat of=/dev/hda bs=512 after the file has been read from the floppy. This will restore the boot code, and the partition table. Because of this, you must keep it updated if you change the partitioning.:D

Jen C
21-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Hi chiefnz

>One thing I have noticed is that there are 2 kernel options in the GRUB menu... they weren't there the last time I installed Fedora... the kernel versions are the same (2.22) but there is a npkl at the end of one them (I can't remember exactly what it is.... "npkl" I could be wrong)

The default kernel for FC1 is 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I am not sure how you ended up with two kernel entries, one with and one without the nptl (which incidently, is Native POSIX Thread Library). You haven't installed a newer kernel? Have a look under /boot and see how many kernel images (vmlinuz) are present. Which kernel are you booting into?

>Just thought I'd let you know that I got mp3 support installed, mounted my windows partitions and everything all on my own...
Well done :D
It sounds ike you are finding your feet quite nicely under Linux.

>I've vowed to go cold turkey on Windows XP this weekend to get a better feel for Linux.
It is actually a good way to learn and also a way to fast track your familiarity with the OS. :) I am sure you will survive the weekend with nerves and OS intact. :p

>The message I get is " the kernel files are to big to fit on a floppy disk."
Strange, seeing FC1's kernel will fit onto a floppy. Just to add to the instruction confusion, also see how this goes:
Find current running kernel name by entering in a console uname -r
Insert a blank floppy in the drive
The as root, enter in mkbootdisk {insert kernel name as reported above} [enter]
Wait for the completed message and then remove floppy.

I haven't used "linux isa" as an install option so cannot comment on this, but a google doesn't really show much info either. Does this work OK under FC1?

chiefnz
21-08-2004, 07:56 AM
> I haven't used "linux isa" as an install option so
> cannot comment on this, but a google doesn't really
> show much info either. Does this work OK under FC1?

Yeah the "linux isa" command lets you choose/install legacy ISA devices on your system when you install the OS for the first time. It is a pretty handy command it seems to do a more in depth probe as far as hardware is concerned. I 1st came across it when I tried Redhat 7 a few years ago.

Now that I think about it when I used the "linux isa" command I didn't get 2 kernel entries in the GRUB loader. This time around I just pressed "enter"on install and thats when 2 entries appeared on the GRUB loader.

I might install again and see what happens... besides I need the practice :)

cheers

chiefnz