PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron Graphics Card trouble

Waltzzz
19-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Dell Inspiron 8100 with Ati Radeon 7500 graphics card.

I get all sorts of blurring, stray pixels and sprites appearing. I have reformatted the disk and reinstalled. To no avail. I don't think it is the LCD as the same distortions appear on an external screen if I plug one in.

I presume it must be the graphics card. Dell - told me they sell new ones for $204 but dont have any and told me to buy one in a local shop!

How hard wld this be to do, I can't seem to find any onlline. If I got one how hard wld it be to put in?

Any other experiences with this sort of thing?

metla
19-08-2004, 11:46 PM
do you have an agp slot or is this a pci card?

either way it will be cheaper then dell's pack rape and leave you in a world of hurt.

the highlander
19-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Laptop isn't it?

the highlander
19-08-2004, 11:52 PM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, M9 64MB
nVIDIA GeForce 4 440 GO 64MB
These are supposed to work with with your dell as well.

metla
19-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Google seems to agree,it is a laptop.

I have no idea what Dell have been smokin but there is no chance of purchasing a new graphic chip for your laptop.

1.Its intergrated into the system
2.Only dell could supply it.
3.Its intergrated into the system,just can't be done.

the highlander
20-08-2004, 12:00 AM
I would of agreed with you Metla but I took a look at the dell site and they even give instructions on how to remove the bugger.
One thing they did mention is that if the card is not seated firmly intermitment video display problems can occur.
Long shot but could be the problem.
If it isn't, I be buggered if I knew where to source on of those cards from.

metla
20-08-2004, 12:05 AM
> I would of agreed with you Metla but I took a look at
> the dell site and they even give instructions on how
> to remove the bugger.

For real?

Ill take your word for it,all though i can't imangine these would take a stcok standerd desktop video card.

the highlander
20-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Nope for real and it doesn't look like any video card Iv'e ever seen.
Illustrated with how to rip your laptop apart.

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/ins8100/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1051438

Waltzzz
20-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Gee that was quick! Thanks for the interest & help. Since I wrote my question I have also found those instructions and more than that, have found a new graphics card for $149 US at: http://www.impactcomputers.com and ordered one. I was given hope in that they also have new motherboards for about $US500 - so if in the end it turns out it is that (which it could be) then I willl still have my rather nice Laptop and a few parts for far less than the price for a new one!

I'll update you here when the parts arrive (I grabbed a keyboard & battery while I was at it, both have problems.) and how I go installing them.

the highlander
20-08-2004, 01:20 AM
If you do it yourself just be careful. Laptops tend to come apart easier than they go back together and have more screws and widgets than the space shuttle. :-)

Pete O\'Neil
20-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Dell use a addin daughter board for graphics in alot of there laptops, its very similar to the new MXM technology by nVidia.

Waltzzz
26-08-2004, 11:06 PM
My parcell arrived from www.imactcomputers.com but no graphics card... I may have made a mistake & had a zero for quantity?? I have contacted them. Anyway I am about to installl the new keyboard (the old one doublles alll the ls. I wil try to reseat the graphics card whille I am in there.

Waltzzz
02-11-2004, 01:43 AM
Thought I'd finish off here with the outcome. That item was out of stock, they did not charge me etc. All this ti,me my latop is giving me hell with weirness on the scree. Finally a week ago an alternative nVidia card arrived. I downloaded the drivers for it, pulled the laptop to bits and installed the card. Bliss!

metla
02-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Thats excellent,this is one thread that i had hoped to see an update on.

Any idea what model card they supplied?(not that it matters,you have a fully functional laptop again after all)

Waltzzz
11-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Dell NVIDIA 64MB Video K0053 1 $179.95

From www.impactcomputers.com

Still going strong! Very pleased as I love this 1600 x 1280 screen - seems to be a rare thing. And ofcourse not needing to buy a new one!

I wonder if I can upgrade the CPU - my Approximate CPU Clock Rate: 996 MHz it is not as fast as they come these days.