PDA

View Full Version : running processes vs running processes

mark c
19-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi, what I mean is that under Task manager (win98se) I have six "running processes" but when I run Adaware it always lists "17 running processes". That's the puzzle, what are the others? Does it mean things like the drivers for the graphics, the monitor, the keyboard. things like that? How do I find out what these others are?

TIA m. :)

beama
19-08-2004, 11:56 AM
some are processes hidden from task manager in 98se
if you are concerned post the running processes from adaware and maybe some one will know what they are

johnboy
19-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Try this it may show up more for you.
Process Explorer
here (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml)
hths

mark c
19-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Excellent thank you both, ran Process Explorer and gave a full list. What shows up as one process in Task Manager (eg AVG) shows up as four processes in Process explorer so I would guess the same is happening in Adaware but will check it out thanks.

mark c
19-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Yes the same is happening in AdAware, thanks a gig, all sorted. :D

Laura
19-08-2004, 02:29 PM
And I say thanks also - for the question & the answer.
Exactly the same thing puzzled me recently (also on 98SE) so you've saved me a query post - and who knows how many others...

Graham L
19-08-2004, 02:45 PM
This is the technique called security by obscurity. "What they don't know won't hurt them" coupled with "If they can't see it they won't mess with it, then complain that the OS doesn't work any more". :D

mark c
19-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Pleased to be of help Laura. I've learnt heaps from reading other ppl's posts. :D And yes Graham L now I'm at the level I can make more serious mistakes.