PDA

View Full Version : Password to browse network shares?

mikep
18-08-2004, 11:57 PM
This one has had me confused for a long time now.

In my home network, network shares seem to be a one way affair. Obviously, the network has been working quite well so long as I am accessing the shares on my desktop PC, but if I try to browse the shares on my laptop from the desktop, I am asked for a password, even though I have not set one up or restricted access to my laptop.

I have found the same problem when connecting my laptop to other laptops too. I can ping and sometimes see a computers name, but am asked for a password. I have never been able to discover how to get around this.

Both machines are running XP Pro and I have tried removing all passwords, but still have this same problem. I have set up both systems to use static addresses with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the same workgroup name, and both machines are using simple file sharing.

Can anybody give me some help?

Wayne H
19-08-2004, 12:02 AM
you must have a user with the same name on both the laptop and the PC.
I take it one would be w98 and the other XP/2k?

Blue_face
20-08-2004, 04:03 PM
2 things i notice in my pass experience...

1: the pc that you r trying to get into which is asking for the password, this pc has not shared and folder/drive

2: when it as for the password, just simply enter the name of the pc you want to get into as a user name, and just leave the password blank.