PDA

View Full Version : Document contains not data

mikebartnz
18-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi there all
I'm with quicksilver and for the last about 24hrs have been getting this message the first time I click on a link. Local sites seem to be ok. The second time goes through ok although at the moment overseas sites are dog slow.
I suspect their DNS servers and cache are the problem anyone with a better idea.
I have often had problems with their DNS servers telling me a site is unavailable on first click.

godfather
18-08-2004, 10:33 PM
http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19970719-12.html

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Usually means your ISP is having problems with their caching or proxying hardware.

mikebartnz
19-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks Godfather I will try that. I am using Netscape but I think it would be unusual for that problem to happen within Windows and Linux at the same time thats why I thought it was more to do with my ISP.

Murray P
19-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I've been getting the same in both Nix and Windows using Mozilla & Firefox respectively, ISP is Paradise service is Jetstarter.

I thought the weather may have been having an effect on the lines or equipment. To add weight to my theory, I saw some telecoms contractors pumping out an in ground box today, not too far from my place. But more likely to be ISP??

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
19-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Forgot to mention, rebooting the router gets it going again, most times.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
19-08-2004, 12:34 AM
As I thought it must be ISP related because clearing the cache made no difference.
What amazes me is that the first ISP I was with ( several years ago ) is the best I have had. I am really slacked off that they sold out to go into bigger and better things.

mikebartnz
19-08-2004, 02:25 AM
It is really weird tonight. I now find I can't get emails and can't connect to one of their sites ( and a whole lot of others ) but good old PressF1 still comes up. About the only site.
I know they are going through a change in only having two numbers to dial into but surely that should not be affecting other parts of the network once you have dialed in.
I think I might ping them and find out what type of servers they have.

mikebartnz
19-08-2004, 02:42 AM
It appears everything is dying after f0-0-sl-br-01a.ak1.iconz.net or one of their servers but that appears to be the main one.
It all goes to show how fragile the net is and if the vrus writers really wanted to make a hit it would be to cripple linux on the servers.