PDA

View Full Version : OEM folder access denied

Mike S
18-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Using Windows XP Home Edition I created a new Administrator account and found that I was unable to access the OEM folder. The Main Administrator account can access this file.

The only reason I wished to access that file was to run a program, which had been inexplicably been parked there when it was loaded.

Questions: -
1. Is it normal for the original Administrator account to be the only user enabled to access the OEM folder?
2. Is it possible to tweak things so 2 Admin accounts can access EVERY folder and file?
3. I’ve read the advice in the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article – 308421. Assuming I can “Take ownership” of the folder that way, will the main administrator user identity then lose access?

Mike S

robo
18-08-2004, 08:00 PM
At first I thought that anyone with admin rights should get access.

But then I remembered that you can set access rights so that only a given user has access. Which is why you should disable users because if you delete them you might lose access to something for ever. I think the key is that as an Administrator you can grant yourself rights to anything (as long as you know it is there). I think,
robo.

mikebartnz
18-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Robo is right you need to change the permissions on that folder to allow the other administrator account to access it.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Thank you folks. I think I understand it now. My current thinking is that maybe I should stick with just one Administrator account.

It seemed a good idea at the time . . . . . . . .

Mike S