PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 Java problems

bardin
18-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a laptop. I recently installed Sun's java software on my computer, since then Java has stopped working entirely. I am specifically trying to run a tutorial on Microsoft/s website, which has embedded Java apps. However today I also tried some java games, just to check whether Java is working at all. Nope.

I am logged in to my PC as administrator. I have checked my IE settings and there is NOTHING in there about Java, whereas another PC of mine (which runs java fine) has got a section under advanced IE settings for Microsoft VM.

I have also dialed up to the web with a modem, as opposed to my router, same deal, so doesn't appear to be a port / protocol blocking issue.

Have downloaded all windows updates.

Control Panel, add/remove programs, program access and defaults screen: all off the options are set to: Use my default java virtual machine. Nothing is configurable on this screen.

I have uninstalled the sun java software and still no joy.

I am looking at repairing my browser. I tried downloading mozilla and it wouldn't bloody find the page! The tutorial opens as a pop-up screen, I navigated to it fine but then the pop-up screen gave a 404.

Your help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brendan

Jim B
18-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Click "Tools" in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."

Click the "Security" tab. For the Internet zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. (If you have chosen to customize your security settings for the Internet zone, be sure that under the Java heading, "Java permissions" is not set to "Disable Java." You will want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also be sure that under the Scripting heading, "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt.")

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/switchvm.jsp

bardin
18-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jim. I have already tried the security options, scripting was enabled, but strangely there was nothing else at all for Java. Seems to be completely missing.

Will be trying again tomorrow, installing SP2 and perhaps another browser, if no go have a feeling I need to do a full rebuild. From what I'm aware of you can't repair or reinstall IE anymore...

Thanks for your help,

Brendan