PDA

View Full Version : is it worth spending more $ on hp680a against hp660a

bruce m smith
18-08-2004, 12:48 PM
a major computer co say I should nearly spend $1000 more to futher proof my investment it is just for home and family htey are talking an extra 4 yrs before needing to buy again
will the extra speed on the front bus ie 400 against 800 make much difference to me

Murray P
18-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Is this a printer or a computer your talking about? Logic would say a computer but google says a printer, can you provide more info please:

What is it you are paying for, spec's, bundled software, periferals, etc?
How much $$ are they asking for it?
What do you want to use it for, word processing, internet, games, digital photo editing?

Cheers Murray P

godfather
18-08-2004, 01:01 PM
For basic use, its not a major feature in my opinion.
The t680a has hyperthreading and an 800 MHz bus. It will perform slightly better.

Given that both will be "obsolete" in a year or thereabouts anyway (probably less), $1,000 saved is a hell of a long way towards a new one in a few years.

Murray P
18-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Ah, it has a T in the model #. Big byte show a $300- difference not $1000-

Hope your not expecting the latest games to run all that well with that video card. If usage is internet, common office app's, photo editing etc, either will do just fine, if a little pricey.

Cheers Murray P

Pete O\'Neil
18-08-2004, 01:41 PM
This is a lil bit OT but i cant stand buy without atleast giving you another option. The like of Big Byte, Harvey Norman's, Noel Lemmings etc with their Compaqs and HP computers are just plain bad value for money. I brought my first PC from Noel Lemmings, and have to say while it was releatively easy there are better options.

Have you considered trying a local PC shop, they will build the system for your needs that will suit your need far better than some off the shelf Harvey Normans jobbie. One benefit is they acutally know their stuff, and if you go to a good shop wont sell you useless junk. Alot of the time these local shops are alot cheaper, use better parts and offer far more knowledgable and experiencde. They offer all the same warranties etc aswell.

One must remember dont just go to the first shop you see as many of them are run by cowboys who will take your money and sell you a sub standard system. Alot of shops are run by Asians with poor english skills which can be annoying.

If this sounds interesting post back and we can reckonmend some good shops.

The thing with HP/Compaq etc is that alot of their system use part you cant upgrade or if you do upgrade will cost alot more than there worth. So when the sales man trys to sell you a system based on upgradibility just laugh.

tech_meister
18-08-2004, 01:44 PM
If you buy a custom built computer, not only will the upgrade later on be
cheaper, but the original purchase price will probably be cheaper as well.

metla
18-08-2004, 01:46 PM
And just to add to that.

They tend to run slow(very slow) due to installed software that serves no purpose.
Your first port of call should you have an issue is a person in Malaysia
Multimedia is marketing spin,ask them what software it can actuallty run,and hold them to it.
They are horrendsly expensive to repair once the warrenty runs out.