PDA

View Full Version : CRC error

B.M.
18-08-2004, 10:02 AM
OK, the kids have bought me a little Genius D610 Digicam for my birthday. Well done kids, but I canít load the software to be able to download the pictures to the computer. I keep getting the following message.

CRC error. The file C:\Program Files\ArcSoft\PhotoImpression 3\exif.exf doesnít match the file in setups .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted.
Contact your software vendor.

Abort Retry Ignore.

OK, hitting Retry sometimes gets me past this file only to encounter the same thing again on a different file.

So, I ran CDCheck and the disk comes up good as gold. I then thought Iíd copy it using Nero and see if we got any problems. No, it copied no problems but the copied disk is no help when it comes to installation as it produces the same problems as the original. Hitting Ignore produces an installation that doesnít work, reporting unable to find files.

Physically the original CD looks in perfect condition, as a brand new one should.

What gets me is CDCheck and Nero donít seem to think there is a problem, it only arises on installation.

Anyone any ideas?

Bob

johnboy
18-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Try there homepage ??
here (http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/download/Driverlist.htm)
hths

B.M.
18-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks Johnboy, got the driver from the website OK.

Still like to know what I should do with the CD?

I guess the question is how do I prove beyond doubt there is a problem with the CD and not elsewhere?

johnboy
18-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Seems to be a common problem try by putting "The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted" into google and see what you come up with one example is here (http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/demo_readme/html/install.htm) which could be a fix. I would also contact the manafacturer maybe you could get a replacement if it is the cd.
hths

B.M.
18-08-2004, 12:41 PM
You beaut Johnboy. Disabling the DMA on the CD ROM did the trick. All installed now without a problem.

Question now is what is all this about? I would never have thought to look there in a million years. Also, now the installation is done should I enable the DMA again?

Talk about oddball!

Cheers

Bob

johnboy
18-08-2004, 01:12 PM
It would pay to turn it back on to be on the safe side.

Graham L
18-08-2004, 01:17 PM
It will make it work faster if your CD drive actually supports DMA. If it doesn't support DMA, the setting might just cause problems like your present one. :D

Does anyone know what proportion of CD drives support DMA?

This is an interesting problem, and an obscure fix to remember. Thanks for telling us what worked, Bob.

B.M.
18-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Obscure is certainly the word for it Graham. :D The CD ROM is a couple of years old and has handled many data disks, installation disks, music disks, you name it and this problem has never previously been encountered. Talk about copping one from left field! :(

Iíd still dearly like to know just what the devil the full story is. Itís sort of a bit uncomfortable knowing the fix but not the reason for it. :8}

Graham L
18-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Here's what Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx) have to say about it. There seem to be some "stability" problems with some hardware.

Other links from "crc error + CD + DMA" in Google are from people who have had problems loading game software, fixed by disabling DMA .

It's amazing how good installing software is at finding subtle faults. :D In particular, loading an OS finds faulty memory. That's because the files are big (so all the memory is used) and compressed (so error checking is used).

People using computers normally don't get error messages, and assume that the output is correct. :D