PDA

View Full Version : Transferring NAV defs to laptop

Spencer
18-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I have Nav 2003 on my desktop and have just renewed for another year. My laptop has the same nav (about to expire) and since I don't go on line with the laptop, my risk is limited to infected file transfers by floppy or CD.

Question is, can I copy over the updated virus defs from the desktop to keep my disk scanning up to date, or will Nav refuse to recognise them after the sub expires?

No, I don't want to load AVG or any other alternative thanks.

Spence

Spacemannz
18-08-2004, 09:32 AM
It should be OK. Wont hurt it. Depends on which version of windows is running, on where it goes on the hdd. If it's XP, copy it to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveSubscribe. And it should upldate the defs etc

Spencer
18-08-2004, 10:25 AM
That's interesting, I am using W2K and was going to transfer the virus defs file to C:|Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs which is where the defs reside on my desktop machine.

The only thing in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveSubscribe is a small 1kb file called Catalog.LiveSubscribe.

If I dump the defs there, are you saying the Nav will automatically forward them on to the "Virus defs" folder, or should I copy them to the "virus defs" folder?

Thanks

Spence

Rob99
18-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Can you scan your laptop from your desktop over a network.

Or I would place the virus defs in the same folder you pulled them from on the laptop.

I dont know much about Norton but you should see it update itself after you copy the def's over and start it.

Spacemannz
18-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Ah the defs are most probably the av updates. That live subscribe is for the renewal/subscription thing.

tweak\'e
18-08-2004, 08:25 PM
you can copy the defs over easy enough and it will work, however you can't (afaik) copy over the program updates which are required for nortons to work correctly. not to sure if the liveupdate will download the program updates when the sub has exspired.

Spencer
27-08-2004, 05:23 PM
> you can copy the defs over easy enough and it will
> work, however you can't (afaik) copy over the program
> updates which are required for nortons to work
> correctly. not to sure if the liveupdate will
> download the program updates when the sub has
> exspired.

I gave up in the end tweak and renewed the sub. But I did find out that NAV says it will continue to update the program, but not the defs, or so it claimed.

Spence