PDA

View Full Version : Creating a database

miknz
17-08-2004, 09:53 PM
I was just reading the post "OT Which programming language should I learn?? " and it got me thinking.
I have been looking for a small program to trace customers details and history. Basiclly what I am after is a program with a "front" pae where I can enter customer name, address, vehicle make, model, rego and a few other fields. This info would go into some sort of database and would be searchable by rego or name so I could update details or find out history. I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone other than me, is this sort of thing do-able in open office or do I need a different program. Do any of the programming languages mentioned in the above post help build this sort of thing?

any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated

Mik

Growly
17-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I have no experience with the OpenOffice database program, but I can tell you for sure that it is possible with Office Access :D

miknz
17-08-2004, 09:59 PM
How difficult would it be to set up??

Growly
17-08-2004, 10:08 PM
All you have to do is create a form - not hard - and then create a website that accesses the form.

These are all wizards IIRC.

miknz
17-08-2004, 10:21 PM
ever heard of GNUE?? is this the same as access?

mikebartnz
17-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I could knock up a Delphi program in no time to do that for you if you are interested

miknz
17-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Sounds interesting, what is Delphi?

mikebartnz
17-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Delphi is a pascal language put out by Borland. You can get the personal edition as a free download but to do database work you really need the Professional edition. A lot of the building of a program is done visually by dropping objects on a form.

andrew93
18-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi miknz

From your original description it sounds like one person has one vehicle - i.e. a one-to-one relationship between the people and the cars, if this is the case then something like Excel would be fine for what you are doing (easy to sort and to apply filters etc.). Although beware of false assumptions....

If you envisage each person having more than one vehicle (possible) then you are looking at a one-to-many relationship (i.e. one person can have many cars) in which case I personally would be indifferent between Access & Excel. Access would be preferable but the filters in Excel could give you what you want.

However, it is also possible that one car could have many owners (given time). If so then you are looking at a many-to-many relationship where one person can have many cars and one car can be owned by multiple people (either at the same time in partnership or over time with change of ownership) then a relational database (such as Access or Delphi etc) would be preferable.

But any recommendation should be dependant upon the amount of data you expect to gather (e.g. if you anticipate say 10-20 items a month then Excel may be the answer) and also what you intend to use the system for. Personally I'm struggling to think of how you would apply this, unless you are in the mv industry (smash repairs, mechanic, sales etc.).

If you could give us a bit more info (e.g. anticipated volume of data, what you intend to use it for, what you hope to get out of any such "system" and so forth), then we may be able to reply with the appropriate answer. Invariably these sorts of projects start out really small and before you know it you have built a behemoth of a system that becomes difficult to maintain.

Lastly, there may be some freeware that other F1 contributors are aware of that may provide a customer management system - also the Access wizards can be used to create a customer management database.

Cheers, Andrew

beama
18-08-2004, 12:24 AM
This is also possible in VB6 using Access Table/s ( yes I have done it ) VB Net dont know but I suspect possible also, flat file database with a Java CLI (oh the headaches, I remember them well now :^O )

Greg S
18-08-2004, 05:28 AM
All she needs is a spreadsheet programme - I'm sure OpenOffice has one

Greg S
18-08-2004, 05:28 AM
> All she needs is a spreadsheet programme - I'm sure
> OpenOffice has one

Sorry... "he"

miknz
18-08-2004, 07:26 AM
What I am tryimg to do is set up a kind of customer contact list mixed with a mileage monitoring system. I am in the run a tyre store and find it a pain in the ass to monitor customers and mileages manually. As was said before cars change hands, so I need a database that is searchable on all fields. I want to be able to bring up a customers details that will tell me when they were last in, what they had done, mileage etc. Would also be able to send out six monthly reminder notices for rotations, wheel alignments.
I would think that I would start with around 2-300 entrys and then add around 10-15 per week so over time it would become a big database, I feel that something like this would be great for customer relations by providing a service that not many others provide.

cheers

Rob99
18-08-2004, 10:05 AM
I would use MS Access. Just follow a wizzard to get the basic setup and get a book from the liabary to show you how to customise

mikebartnz
18-08-2004, 01:42 PM
The offer still applies

miknz
18-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a great offer to me, what sort of coin would we be talking?

mikebartnz
18-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Give me an email at posting nickname at quicksilver dot net dot nz with your phone number and the different fields for the DB (not the Liquid )

mikebartnz
18-08-2004, 08:20 PM
> All he needs is a spreadsheet programme.
Yes but that would be like using a crescent to hammer a nail in.

kiki
18-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Ahaha Andrew93 knows his stuff alright. We did the database course earlier this year so that's all pretty familiar to me.

andrew93
18-08-2004, 10:30 PM
> Ahaha Andrew93 knows his stuff alright. We did the
> database course earlier this year so that's all
> pretty familiar to me.

Thanks
Comes from : "been there, done that".....
:D

andrew93
18-08-2004, 10:32 PM
kiki - given your studies, can you have a look at this thread? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50399) Thanks.

drb1
19-08-2004, 08:42 PM
> What I am tryimg to do is set up a kind of customer
> contact list mixed with a mileage monitoring system.
> I am in the run a tyre store and find it a pain in
> the ass to monitor customers and mileages manually.
> As was said before cars change hands, so I need a
> database that is searchable on all fields. I want to
> be able to bring up a customers details that will
> tell me when they were last in, what they had done,
> mileage etc. Would also be able to send out six
> monthly reminder notices for rotations, wheel
> alignments.
> I would think that I would start with around 2-300
> entrys and then add around 10-15 per week so over
> time it would become a big database, I feel that
> something like this would be great for customer
> relations by providing a service that not many others
> provide.
>
> cheers

If the people here can make you what you need for little, so good.

Hve you checked /heard of Systime (S.A.M 4/ For W/shops, Elite). It wIll do All your are asking for and a lot more , isnt really that expensive, And the I.R.D. love it, When you use A/C ware they like life can be a lot easier.