PDA

View Full Version : Scheduler/booking system on network

mister harbies
17-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi fellow F1ers,

At work we have rooms and equipment which can be booked. One person is responsible for the bookings and everything is recorded in a book.

The problem is I also take some bookings and have to tell the person responsible to book it for me. Even more of a problem is that the room might have already been booked and have told them the room is available.

The solution is a booking system or diary that can be viewed over the network. We don't have a credit card so can not purchase software online. What options do we have?

Could anyone with programming knowledge create such software?

Mister Harbies

robsonde
18-08-2004, 01:34 AM
do you have outlook??

you might be able to use a shared calander system.

set the system up as if the room is a person and then you can book anything in.

martnz
18-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi there - can suggest 2 options:

1/ Dirt Cheap and totally insecure - convert the Book to a Word document or Excel Spreadsheet. Put somewhere on a PC or server where anyone who needs the info can open / view / update the file.

2/ The "Professional" option is to use Microsoft Exchange. This server-based program handles email, shared diaries, meetings, and already includes an option for booking rooms and other resources. If the organisation is NOT already using Exchange, will cost a few thosand $$$ to install, so may be seen as overkill to replace one book!

Regards,
Martnz

mister harbies
18-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Don't have outlook or exchange.

Will look into the word file dirt cheap way and think of a system so it can work.

Any other options?

Mister Harbies

Berryb
18-08-2004, 01:56 PM
What OS are you running. Using the MS Word file option and using the permissions in Win2000 and XP on the file there would not be a security issue. You can allow or disallow who you want to be able to view or update the file. This depends on the OS you are using.

mister harbies
18-08-2004, 11:43 PM
We have 4 computers at work. I have Microsoft Me (I know it sucks but I accept what Work has given me), one computer is Windows XP Pro, and two Windows 98. The master computer is running Windows 98 and it is on this computer where the bookings will be made.

I am sure you all think I work for the Salvation Army now.

Mister Harbies

Berryb
18-08-2004, 11:56 PM
As long as the ones you want to work on are networked as well as the XP PC you could put the word file on the XP PC and set permissions accordingly. The XP PC will have to be on all the time so you can access the file and the 98 and Me PC's will have to login with a user name and password when they startup. The XP PC will need to have the same users setup on it. Put the file in a shared folder and set the permissions. Simple to setup if you have a current network.
HTH

Wayne H
19-08-2004, 12:16 AM
the other way is to share a directory on the Win98 PC that you WANT to use and give it read only (with password on write.) and use it that way.
unless the whole of c is shared and you do not have a d drive.

martnz
19-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi there,

Ref "Dirt Cheap and totally insecure", I guess everyone may accept the existing security level as appropriate for the organisation. One other option is to password protect the Word / Excel document, but even this may be overkill.