PDA

View Full Version : A fatal exception?

johnnytalofa
17-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi there,

I am running windows 98SE and recently did a windows update, which I believe, updated some aspect of internet explorer. Ever since then I am constantly getting blue screens popping up telling me that:

A fatal exception error has occured at 0228:C0031AC7. The current application will be terminated.

The dial-up connection is also dropping off with a punishing regularity!!

Any ideas would be greatfully received as to what has changed and how I can resume normal service.

Tks
Johnny

Jen C
17-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Is that the entire error message? No mention of OE and is that error number actually 0028:xxxxxxxx?

Jen C
17-08-2004, 09:56 AM
> Is that the entire error message? No mention of OE
> and is that error number actually 0028:xxxxxxxx?

Oops - sorry about the emoticon in there :p

That should display as 0028: xxxxxxxx

Capt.Hook
17-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Could you not uninstall the updates and see if it makes the problem go away?

Hook

Earnie Moore
17-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi I once that long hexadecimal number was a load of rubbish unique to one own hard drive set up,or what ever other confusing think I could think of that might produce a strange number, anyway one day I poked the number into Google along with "fatal exception" and it came up with good results. and the words "well bugger me" sprang to mind.

Mzee
24-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I have run XP for three years now & have never had a "fatal exception" or "illegal act".
It has never crashed.
I never do updates unless absolutely essential. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

My 98SE packed a sad as soon as I updated it. I ran ME for a couple of years, (no updates available) and had no bother except for annoying habit of using upper case for its file names.