PDA

View Full Version : network - blocking off certain computers.

Kibito
16-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Heya quick question.

Anyone know of a program that lets you control the access of networked computers to the internet. As in I have a dsl router & modem so yea is there any program that lets me view networked computers with a connection to the router so that I can enable/disable their access to the net?

Murray P
17-08-2004, 01:59 AM
What model router is it, it may have that sort of function built in or available by an apdate. Or you could just browse to the router and block/disable the other PC's IP's.

Most content filtering and access software costs unless you go Open Source which would most likely mean adding another device in the line. Unless you can lock down each individual machine which will depend to some extent on the operating system as far as I know.

If you let us know what your connection, router and OS is we could get you a bit closer to an answer.

Cheers Murray P

falvrez
17-08-2004, 08:54 AM
you could try netop. It loads as host and guest and it can run in stealth mode so the user has no idea you are "looking" at thier pc in real time.

Then if you see something they shouldn't be doing, you can lock their desktop out. You can also reboot thier PC and take over it and do pretty much anything including installing printers, checking for viruses etc.

It's the best program I have found this year, by far.
But it doesn't do any sort of automatic filtering if that's what you are after.

Kibito
21-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Cheers for the heads up on netop. Installed it and it works but problem is.

On the client computer it's running 98 and everytime I load the host program it gives me illegal operation etc and pres close to close the program. If I dont hit close the host still runs and I can connect fine but I mean the client's gonna hit close.

Do you know if there's any easy way to bypass these errors or is a reinstall due : /

Kibito
22-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Very weird.

Fresh 2000 pro install on the comp and install netop and it still crashes.

Says error log generated. Anyone know where it gets saved to so I can view it?

Kibito
22-08-2004, 10:17 PM
lol weird.

First time I played 18, 16.

Played again got like 10, 11. :)