PDA

View Full Version : Lap top

gword7
16-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I am looking at getting a laptop for use on a film set. Need to be able to to read and write CD's and playbak DVD's. Otherwise just run Word & Excel & File manager Pro. Loked at a rebuilt Dell Latitude L400 at PTL Computers on North Shore. $1190 incl external DVD/CD writer. Dick Smith have an ASUS A2500H for $1897 and and ECS Notebook TM 5800 for $1399. Thoughts please.

andrew93
16-08-2004, 08:44 PM
If you only need one for a short time then rent one for the duration of the film / project. Anything more than 5-6 months you are better off buying. Being mobile you will find the external CD/DVD drive a hassle - go for one with an internal drive.

gword7
16-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Cheers. How does ECS compare to ASUS?

tweak\'e
16-08-2004, 09:28 PM
>Cheers. How does ECS compare to ASUS?

ECS is a budget brand while ASUS is a top end brand.

the highlander
17-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Would the ecs laptop you mention be a DSE product ?
If so I had an inquiry about this model a few weeks ago and could find no benchmarks on cpu performance. Last Saturday I overheard a rather honest DS salesman lose a sale to a couple gagging to buy one. He told them they have performance issues running xp and multitasking and suggested they save up for a few months and come back and get a decent laptop.
Wish he was serving when I bought my first new comp from them years ago, a cyrix m2 300 (cringe)

metla
17-08-2004, 12:56 AM
DSE sell them but they are hardly a DSE product,many places carry them.

Having said that they are no longer on the pricelist so either they arent imported anymore and DSE still have stock,or DSE bought the lot and they are now exclusive to them..

...................meh.

Anyhow,the unit will have a 1ghz via cpu in it (which is cyrix tech) it can run XP fine,and any other basic tasks,heck,it can do anything you like if your prepared to have less then snappy performance.

Having said that,I wouldn't recomend anyone buy that particuler model unless that was all the budget could cover,Performance issues as far as running an OS are 99 percent of the time related to the user,Perhaps people have been complaining and the DSE salesmen knowing little about anything can only point at the machine and go "computer bad"

the highlander
17-08-2004, 01:57 AM
"Performance issues as far as running an OS are 99 percent of the time related to the user,Perhaps people have been complaining and the DSE salesmen knowing little about anything can only point at the machine and go "computer bad"

I tend to agree with you that most of the DSE salesmen knowing Jack but in this case you really had to be there to appreciate him. The tone, the time he took to explain and his manner, anyway it tended to confirm what I suspected after I played with one loaded with a live knoppix os since they come with no os and its response wasn't that snappy compared to what I can get on a old celeron 466 with similar ram with knoppix
Right about it being a standard model ecs rebadged as DSE but I have only seen it at dse, qmb, and ascent and assumed he saw one there.