PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the new XTRAMSN look?

MrBeef
15-08-2004, 10:40 AM
I for one find it very slow loading, on both Opera and IE.

I liked the old one, where the headlines were infront of your face. Now its some Flash 5 thing

Jester
15-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I used to have Xtra as my homepage - I could see news headlines at a glance. It's rubbish now, overbloated un-friendly interface, but hey, it's "pretty", and will appeal to those who are new and like moving pictures and bloat on websites.

J
:D

metla
15-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I thinks its disguting to look at,difficult to use,slow loading,overblown.

Reminds me of their last look,except even worse in every way possible.

I also see that the search is now restricted to their network by default,Perhaps the most crackerhead move yet,This makes it even more new-user un-freindly.

Its damn near hostile.

Taking retardedness to an entire new level.

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of the green the design staff made out of the "upgrade".

Seriously,people responcible for this should be fired.

Damn crackerhead crackers.

MrBeef
15-08-2004, 12:14 PM
you used to be able to goto www.xtra.co.nz and get away without all the "MSN" stuff but now its all bloody MSN and what-not.

Good one, XTRA - you really hit the 8 ball here.

R2x1
15-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Well, I agree with all that has been said, although perhaps I don't like it quite as much as others do.
However, it is the site for Xtra & MSN, so a bloated, slow, ugly, ineffectual, and overpriced (surmise) effort is most appropriate. Pity the colours are not quite as revolting as they should be. ;)
R2

Winston001
15-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't like it either. The answer is to make your homepage the news page which is still in the earlier format. Can't make the link work for some reason.

metla
15-08-2004, 12:46 PM
the link??

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/

Wont be long untill the entire site is brought into line with the frontpage though.

leonidas5
15-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Has anyone calculated the ongoing download factor of having Xtra now as home Page and "resting" there when not surfing? Might be wrong but it seems to me to be using precious chunks of my 1 gig a month? A Plot, or paranoia?

Leon

lagbort
15-08-2004, 01:03 PM
i dumped the xtra site long ago as a start page, I changed to google about 2 years ago and never looked back, loads instantly, search engine that ctually works, and nifty logos for special events :D

Terry Porritt
15-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Hmm, why cannot I connect to http://xtramsn.co.nz/ with either Firefox or IE is the site down, or did they hear me call Telecom an evil giant the other day?

the highlander
15-08-2004, 01:46 PM
It bites.

phil.b
15-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I used to use it as a homepage, but as I use my own webpage display setting the text has gone to pot. It's crapp, time for a move.

Phil

mikebartnz
15-08-2004, 11:48 PM
>get away without all the "MSN" stuff but now its all bloody MSN and what-not.
Give them seven years and they might get a divorce.

mikebartnz
16-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Using Netscape with no Flash in Linux and it took ages to load, did not render properly and had nothing in the middle I assume because of no Flash. So many web designers have not heard of the KISS principal.
I remember a few years ago a site I went to and on their home page you had a choice of text mode or graphical and boy was the text mode fast. In so many cases the graphics actually only clutter the page and make it harder to read.

Budda
16-08-2004, 07:33 AM
no sir, i dont like it one bit, i think the flash thing is rather annoying, also the same as the ads now on the varsity.co.nz site annoying flash ads that waste bandwidth.

andrew93
16-08-2004, 09:29 AM
it sucks and blows - recently changed homepage to bbc news

Laura
16-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I agree, andrew.
That's a truly great site. And if you follow only some of their links, there's enough reading to keep you occupied for hours - or days...

andrew93
16-08-2004, 10:01 AM
I agree Laura, that's why I changed - it is news as it should be and not (IMHO) sanitised, pc'ised, watered-down to a 7yo reading level, regionalised propaganda. The news we receive is is no way "news".

[/end of rant]
:D

Terry Porritt
16-08-2004, 12:53 PM
The mystery of why I wasnt able to log onto xtramsn was that it was blocked by the hosts file. Interesting as this is a pre-compiled hosts file I downloaded from here:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

It had ads.xtra.co.nz, xtra.co.nz and xtramsn.co.nz in it.

Someone thought that the xtra site was too intrusive?

drb1
16-08-2004, 04:36 PM
> Has anyone calculated the ongoing download factor of
> having Xtra now as home Page and "resting" there when
> not surfing? Might be wrong but it seems to me to be
> using precious chunks of my 1 gig a month? A Plot,
> or paranoia?
>
> Leon

Used to be my home page, The video ( or something near there) hurts my eyes.

Plot, considering Telecoms entry into the 1g cap broad band area (and all the dirty telecom tricks their playing around b/b acess), what other explanation could there be.