PDA

View Full Version : zone alarm pro

gtr676
15-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between zone alarm pro and the win xp firewall, should I disable the win xp firewall when running zone alarm pro ? and if so, how? or is the win xp firewall adequate protection and no need of zone alarm pro, or, if both are installed and running at the same time, does that cause a conflict between the 2 ?, and finally, is one of them better than the other? or should I leave well enough alone and stay with the win xp firewall and norton antivirus ?
win xp firewall or zone alarm pro ? or both ?
I await a reply with unbridled eagerness, as I watch the AB's, unfortunately, south africas montgomery just kicked another penalty which puts the score at 25/23 in favour of SA, anyone else not sleeping and watching the game ?
thanks to you all

Gary

Spacemannz
15-08-2004, 10:31 AM
If you're still using SP1 with XP, the firewall isn't that good. In SP1, you disable the firewall thru the dialup/properties/advanced/1st option.

If you dont know how to disable the firewall in SP1, I doubt that's it enabled now. It's NOT on by default.

Norton AV wont protect you (unless it's part of Norton Internet Security).
It's a virus scanner, not a firewall.

The main diff between Zonealarm and XP's is Zonealarm's will ask you if its safe, for programs to run/or ports that are trying to connect from outside. SP1 doesn't. SP2's firewall would be equal to Zonealarm, or any other firewall. I have SP2 installed atm, but have disabled its firewall. As I use Norton Internet Security 2003.

Some places say 1 decent firewall is good enough. I guess its up to you to decide whether 2 is OK. If one constantly crashes, I would disable XP SP1's firewall.

Susan B
15-08-2004, 04:17 PM
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between zone alarm pro and the win xp firewall

Zone Alarm monitors and controls internet traffic both ways, Win XP's firewall only monitors and controls traffic coming in, not out. Zone Alarm therefore offers much better protection.

> should I disable the win xp firewall when running zone alarm pro ? and if so, how?

It is recommended that you disable Win XP's firewall, though having said that I have had mine enabled with (as far as I know) no ill effects whilst using Kerio and Outpost. Disable it from Network Connections>your internet connection's Properties>Advanced tab>Remove tick from "Protect my computer....".

> or is the win xp firewall adequate protection and no need of zone alarm pro, or, if both are installed and running at the same time, does that cause a conflict between the 2 ?, and finally, is one of them better than the other? or should I leave well enough alone and stay with the win xp firewall and norton antivirus ? win xp firewall or zone alarm pro ? or both ?

It is recommended that one does not rely on the Win XP firewall but use a third party firewall for better protection. If you have Zone Alarm Pro I am guessing that you would have paid for it so therefore would want to use it instead of the Win XP one. If you don't have Zone Alarm Pro I would advise getting the free version at least and using that instead of Win XP's firewall.

gtr676
15-08-2004, 04:46 PM
thanks to you both, I recently bought a new comp that runs win xp s1 home edition over my old one was win98se, so yes I do have zone alarm pro and will be installing it asap, its just that I have heard so much about all the probs with win xp etc...so I am prob paranoid that its going to crash when I try something new......so your answers are much appreciated.

Gary

gtr676
15-08-2004, 10:51 PM
I installed zone alarm pro and the free version (at different times) and on startup everything is fine until the desktop appears and then I get the following error message
top left hand corner of dialogue box are the letters RTL
unable to start driver for Hphpm09.exe(HPHpm09.exe)

I have an HP Photosmart P1000 printer and I Think its something to do with that, it does stop the printer from functioning properly until I uninstal the zone alarm free and ZApro. I am wondering if Nortons internet security might be worth ago?