PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

hsv-b0y
14-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey guys,
I have just got my new graphics card (Nvidia Geforce FX5200, not great i know, but better than my onboard)

Anyway, I would like to know if it is possible to run dual monitors, using the onboard vga port aswell as the graphics card one.
I would like to avoid buying a dvi to vga adapter if possbile!

Thanks,
Luke

kiki
14-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Did you not get a DVI-VGA adaptor with the card?

Got a digital camera handy, or know the manufacturer (Leadtek, Pixelview, Powercolor, Chaintech, etc) of the video card? Then we can find some of this info for you.

One thibng that seems to be lacking in this place is to try. ;)

mikebartnz
14-08-2004, 08:45 PM
If you are running XP you should be able to. In the bios make sure it is using the FX5200 as the first monitor.

chiefnz
14-08-2004, 08:45 PM
As far as I am aware I don't think what you want is possible. Under Windows only 1 of the display adpaters can be active.

The alternative.. buy a VGA splitter but as you have stated you don't want to buy one.

I would recommend you try and sell your FX5200 and buy another card e you're better off saving up to buy something with a little more under the hood so to speak.

cheers

chiefnz

godfather
14-08-2004, 09:23 PM
> As far as I am aware I don't think what you want is
> possible. Under Windows only 1 of the display
> adpaters can be active.

Thats not correct.

As long as the adapters are Windows compliant you can run *several*.

One PC here runs the on-board and a PCI adapter at once just fine.

Another runs a dual output GF4 MX460 and a PCI card and all 3 outputs work.

Often though, an AGP will auto-deactivate the on-board one.

But a DVI to VGA adapter is only $9 at DSE. Its usually the easiest way to go, but not the only way. Try the on-board and see if its active? Look under display adapters and see if you can enable it?

chiefnz
14-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification Godfather... just goes to show you learn new things everyday.

cheers

chiefnz

hsv-b0y
14-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Only $9 =0

Well i'll just buy one for that, I thought they were more like $25, well the one i saw was anyway!

Thanks for all the input!

Thanks,
Luke