PDA

View Full Version : OT Which programming language should I learn??



Codex
14-08-2004, 04:29 PM
What programming language should i learn, Visual Basic 6, Visual C++ 6 or Delphi?????

Earnie Moore
14-08-2004, 04:45 PM
If you learn C, C++

there are a lot of other programs you can get right up to speed with, without any trouble,
Like Javascript , java, PHP, they are all different but easier to learn if you know C

Codex
14-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Well i have an old copy of C++ so whats the difference between C++ and C??

andrew93
14-08-2004, 05:06 PM
why do you want to learn a programming language and what will you be using it for? Hobby or work or web pages etc?

Codex
14-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Well to tell you the truth i'm only 15 this year so i wanted to learn as a hobby and to make web pages. I'm alright with visual basic, and i know a little basic as well, but even though i'm only 15 doesnt mean i can't make an early start :D

Earnie Moore
14-08-2004, 06:00 PM
You could say C++ is a upgrade of C, and uses "classes" to save on code duplication

if you want to you download a C/C++ from
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html and even join a Email list, while you are learning.

Did you wish to study by yourself or did it from say a correspondence school?

Sometimes with self taught you learn the easy parts and sweep the hard parts under the carpet, so to speak.

Codex
14-08-2004, 06:13 PM
i'm 4th form i dont know if i can do it at school or not :( i know what you mean though, if you learn it by yourself you skip the hardparts, i'll talk to my teachers and see if i can

Codex
14-08-2004, 06:16 PM
also, which is better to learn C/C++ or Delphi, what will i get the most out of?

Sb0h
14-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Definately learn C++ it will give you a very good grounding for the other languages. Most polytechs will offer courses and there are heaps of good books on it.

daskip
14-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Well, if you want to make web pages I wouldn't look at those languages first.

I'd suggest C# or VB.NET, prol vb.net seeming you've done some vb.

You're other options would be php or java.

Codex
14-08-2004, 06:30 PM
thanks everyone for all your comments they've been very helpful!!!! I'll talk to my teachers at my school on monday(but they'll probably wont let me) I'll take a look at some books as well(even though i can't stand reading)

Thanks,
Alex

Jen C
14-08-2004, 06:59 PM
What about python (http://www.python.org/)? I went to a talk on Programming languages at the local LUG meeting, and python was described as a general all-rounder which is OS independant and the code was easier to maintain later on down the track.

mikebartnz
14-08-2004, 07:09 PM
C++ is object orientated.

DangerousDave
14-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I would avoid C++ to start with, its probably a bit complex for most people to start. Try start with C, its more simple and the OOP bit is only really necessary if you're wanting to really get into windows programming (which is the devil anyway).

Java is a good language to learn the theory of programming although I have my doubts over applications that are made in it (speed etc).

- David

Codex
14-08-2004, 09:40 PM
whats wrong with windows programming, what else would i program??

mikebartnz
14-08-2004, 09:54 PM
People used to hate programing to the Windows API but with the modern languages like Delphi it is not nearly the hassel.

andrew93
14-08-2004, 11:05 PM
> What about python (http://www.python.org/)?
> I went to a talk on Programming languages at the
> local LUG meeting, and python was described as a
> general all-rounder which is OS independant and the
> code was easier to maintain later on down the track.

Python was recommended to me some time ago and after having used it and coming from a Pascal background , I can recommend it as being a good language for programming, especially for hobbies and stuff. I wouldn't recommend it for web development - you would be better off learning a programme that is designed for making web pages (although the Python developers reckon it can be used for that). Insofar as C or C++ etc go - if you are going to get into "programming" (as opposed to web development) then it would be advisable to learn one of the older languages like C, C++, Pascal, Basic etc to learn about data structures and getting the logic & sequences correct.

>what else would i program??

If this question was referring to the OS then there are platforms other than Windows (there are the obvious ones Linux & DOS etc but also the less obvious such as programmes to control electronic equipment (CNC?) such as train / traffic signals, automated factories, air conditioning equiment and so forth).

However, if your question was more along the lines of "what else is there to programme other than web pages" then the sky is really the limit. How about the fibonacci series of numbers until they are too boig to fit on your screen or all of the prime numbers up to 1 billion (this took me a week on Python :D - still trying to work out how I can get to 1 trillion without nuking my PC) or basic macros to make using your PC easier? There are plenty of applications available for programmes - this is the joy of learning (although at 15 I'm sure you would rather learn about things other than the school curriculum) ;)

Elephant
14-08-2004, 11:46 PM
> What about python (http://www.python.org/)?
> I went to a talk on Programming languages at the
> local LUG meeting, and python was described as a
> general all-rounder which is OS independant and the
> code was easier to maintain later on down the track.

I am inclined to agree that a look at Python may be a good idea.
I have written applications in Basic ( interpreted), COBOL ( compiled) and inserted some FORTRAN and Assembler code into the COBOL source code before compiling. I only had a quick look at Python. Pysol for example is a solitaire game and the source code is available and this is written using Python. Open source this.

If I was looking at only writing Web sites then I would try to learn more HTML and JAVA maybe XML, ASP and PHP.

C++ is good for writing applications that are object oriented. There are heaps of source code lines out there which can be downloaded. Want to make the latest game? C++ may be the way to go.

Learning any programming language at the age of 15 I think will help.

Subroutines ( lumps of code) and the logic behind all this regardless of language will help. Visual basic is one that will help you to write code for Access applications and Macros in general.

I say post back here with what you want to actually do then we may be able to help more.

The fact that you say that you have problems reading leaves me wondering a bit though.

Whatever programming language you decide to learn for whatever reason will have syntax which is very important.

Leave out a period or full stop or bracket from the source code then the program maybe will not compile. This does not count logic errors in the code either.

Do not let me stop you. Work out what you want and go for it.

I'm certainly not trying to put you off. Have a word with a careers advisor and/or Teachers at your school.

Don't just sit there and think you can't do it! You can you know.

Codex
15-08-2004, 11:20 AM
> Learning any programming language at the age of 15 I
> think will help.

Why will that help??
I really want to learn a language that is ver powerful and also help learn other ones and understand them better(i had a look at C and C++ code and all i see is objects, letters, numbers and symbols(lol)) So how long do you think it would take to learn(stupid question probably ages)??

Growly
15-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Go to your local library - i picked up some second book for $0.25

Pity I haven't started programming yet....

Codex
15-08-2004, 11:40 AM
> The fact that you say that you have problems reading
> leaves me wondering a bit though.

What the hell???? i never said i have reading problems I can read and spell fine(raeding age of 16 and spelling age of 16)

where did you get that idea?????? :O

Codex
15-08-2004, 11:45 AM
oh now i see

>i cant stand reading

lol yea i wont read books(stories and stuff) but i can read fine and i will read if i'm required to or if it will help me

Earnie Moore
15-08-2004, 12:02 PM
>
> >i cant stand reading
>

Well sit down then,

I see a lot of people standing and reading at bookshops reading magazines "cheap skates", I bang into them on purpose and say "I am very sorry"

Elephant
15-08-2004, 12:39 PM
> > The fact that you say that you have problems
> reading
> > leaves me wondering a bit though.
>
> What the hell???? i never said i have reading
> problems I can read and spell fine(raeding age of 16
> and spelling age of 16)
>
> where did you get that idea?????? :O

"I'll take a look at some books as well(even though i can't stand reading)"

Probably from what you said in the quote marks above. I guess I got the wrong idea and thought that if you coudn't stand reading you were probably having trouble.

My mistake and my apologies.

Codex
15-08-2004, 01:03 PM
:P thats ok

Earnie Moore
15-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Once you have decided what language to go with, there is no need to go and buy a book at first, there are lots of tutorials on Internet, just use Google to find them.

mikebartnz
15-08-2004, 07:06 PM
>the OOP bit is only really necessary if you're wanting to really get into windows programming
I would like to know why you think that because OOP is where you create objects that can be reused so it doesn't have much to do with Windows full stop.

Codex
16-08-2004, 07:39 PM
sorry but i looked and i've read tutorials but the problem is it doesn't make sense i see bits where it says, use this code to do this... but it doesn't tell me what it means and/or how you would use it in other conditions... and another problem is its easier for me to learn things if they are explained to me by a person not by a tutorial

Earnie Moore
16-08-2004, 07:47 PM
what code for what language are you looking at?
if you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and enter the language you like, you might find a number of Emails groups, we could answer here,
but I think this should be a computer fix it web site forum (with lots of OT).

Rob99
16-08-2004, 08:00 PM
A good start would be c as this will give you a good grounding, looping and conditional statments etc. Then you would be wise to move to anything Object Orientated if you realy wanted to write programes or go the .net way.

Codex
17-08-2004, 09:00 PM
What is visual FoxPro???

Earnie Moore
17-08-2004, 10:38 PM
I was going to reply with "some kind of database program, I knew someone that had foxpro about ten years ago, it was a DOS type database, then I put

"What is visual FoxPro" into google and from the first result,

Microsoft Visual FoxPro 8.0 provides the tools you need to create and manage high-performance, 32-bit database applications and components. Its robust tools and data-centric, object-oriented language make it ideal for building modern, scalable, multitier applications that integrate client/server computing and the Internet.


it might be fare to say, if you are looking at visual froxpro, your vision at looking at a "programming language" is getting a bit out of focus.

Codex
17-08-2004, 10:45 PM
No no i was just wondering because i heard it before and i saw it in the visual studio package so i was just curious that's all

cheers
Alex

Earnie Moore
17-08-2004, 11:05 PM
OK that's good, you were getting me worried,
A couple of weeks ago there was someone asking about a free program they wanted, to help with their invoice I left my phone number, I was going to offer my free services to write the program in C/C++, and free on going support, but he never got back to me, I have lost interest now I have something else I have to do. But I am sure it would of done the trick and I would of got more out my C/C++ study I did a couple of years ago.