PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got their caller ID to work on computer.

lightfoot
14-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Has anyone got their caller ID to work on computer.

What modems and what software you are using. Does it work with New Zealand phone network since different modems and software only work with certain network. Thanks .

godfather
14-08-2004, 01:39 PM
As I understand it NZ Caller ID is not the same as in many other parts of the world, the caller ID data is sent later in the ring cadence here, and overseas its sent at the beginning.

Many modems are sold as caller ID capable, but not many actually work here it seems.

You may have to try it to find out, and possibly source alternative drivers.

Graham L
14-08-2004, 02:54 PM
My approach would be to fake it. :D

The caller ID is sent at 1200 baud, so an extra modem watching the line (and not answering) might pick it up. I haven't tried this. It would probably need to be connected with a capacitor so it can't answer (by putting a DC low resistance on the line), and be set in "answer" mode. The &L1 "leased line" mode would be useful too, probably. Of course many modern modems don't have &L settings. Some mightn't have 1200 baud.

It's relatively trivial to pick up characters coming from a modem connected to a serial port (NT, 2000, and XP might give problems, though DLLs are available to access ports. I'd use a real OS, or DOS ]:)).

spoofing
12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Go to www.covertcall.com/6133

this site offers caller id spoofing.

check it out. only 5 cents a minute...

there is a free test you can do.

so goto the link, register your phone number and call your self off the test to see different numbers come up on your caller id.

when you register though, know that your using your phone number, and u wont be able to register that # again.

PaulD
12-02-2005, 05:01 PM
As I understand it NZ Caller ID is not the same as in many other parts of the world, the caller ID data is sent later in the ring cadence here, and overseas its sent at the beginning.

Many modems are sold as caller ID capable, but not many actually work here it seems.

You may have to try it to find out, and possibly source alternative drivers.
The NZ Caller ID is very similar to the US except that the ring cadence is different here. The data is sent in the 1st long silent period. US Caller ID devices "should" work but not all of them cope with all of the variations in the FCC spec anyway. Caller ID in the UK is sent before any ringing.

spoofing - How would a US site not offering Intl. service work here?