PDA

View Full Version : sound card

macpen
14-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi folks. I have a DVD player and a CD Rom RW 24-10-40. Both have a mini socket and knurled volume control. Do these outputs need to be configured as I've plugged a PC headset into both now and heard diddly squat. Yet the headphones work just fine when plugged into a speaker socket at the rear of the tower. Need to keep the noise levels down when applying full throttle to my flight sim jumbo jet at the odd hours that I fly.
Many thanks. macpen

R2x1
14-08-2004, 12:54 AM
If I have understood you right - the principal "configuration" for these sockets is to put the appropriate disc into the drive - they are a direct output from their own decoding circuitry.
They can't "reach back" and get audio from elsewhere in the system, unfortunately for your needs.

R2

macpen
14-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Many thanks for your reply. Whilst still not the full bottle on what the purpose of these controls are, I will not be attempting to get sound out of them again. Have a great weekend. macpen

Shaun Minfie
14-08-2004, 11:06 AM
> Hi folks. I have a DVD player and a CD Rom RW
> 24-10-40. Both have a mini socket and knurled volume
> control. Do these outputs need to be configured as
> I've plugged a PC headset into both now and heard
> diddly squat. Yet the headphones work just fine when
> plugged into a speaker socket at the rear of the
> tower. Need to keep the noise levels down when
> applying full throttle to my flight sim jumbo jet at
> the odd hours that I fly.
> Many thanks. macpen

The sockets on the front of the drives is used for listening to audio played from a disk in the drive.

The only way to remove the jumbo jet is to plug your headphones into the speaker socket as you have done.

Shaun

macpen
15-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Many thanks Shaun. macpen