PDA

View Full Version : Adding Chapters to Video Mpeg Files

Steve_L
13-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Is there a quick way to add chapters to a video mpeg file?
What I mean by "chapter" is this: using a commercial (video store) DVD movie, we can easily jump from scene to scene - instead of fast forwarding to get to the part we want to see, we can first jump to the chapter/section of the movie.

I ask this question because now I am converting camcorder video tapes (home movies, not pirated-copied movies) to mpeg files so we can view them on our DVD player. I use ULead Video Studios 5 and 7, but cannot find a way to easily and quickly add chapters; what I have to do is trim the huge files into sections and this is prone to errors and takes a long time.

A friend has a DVD recorder (stand alone, not within a PC) and it automatically adds chapters every 7 minutes and has a button that can be used for adding a chapter anywhere in the movie.

Any ideas? Thanks. - Steve

CYaBro
13-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I am using NeroVision Express, which came with my DVD writer, and it has the option of adding chapters or creating them automatically.

Don't know about Ulead Video Studio though sorry!

Steve_L
13-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I seem to only have Nero Express (not Vision) and do not see any such feature. I'll have to check to see what Nero Vision Express would cost, but tell me, are adding chapters to a mpeg file easy to do or do you have to sit at the screen and manually add the chapters? Sitting for over 20 hours is not something I would look forward to. :^O

metla
13-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Adding chapters is a piece of apple pie.

And not the MacDonaldís type either, the aromatic full flavored fluffy pastry apple pie.

You can break a segment of film and add a chapter then re-encode it into one stream, which will take a fair amount of crunching though.

Or you can simply add the files in the sequence you want when authoring your dvd/ svcd/ vcd, they will then play in order.

If you already have one file but want to add a segment in the middle, cut it in the middle, output it to 2 files, then author your disc then add the first as 1,the new entry as 2 and the second part of the first file as 3.

However, if the software insists on re-encoding then itís a case of letting it do its thing for a few hours, or days

Steve_L
14-08-2004, 12:36 PM
>>You can break a segment of film

This is the problem - I cannot figure out a quick way to do this. When trimming/breaking a file it insists on recoding, and although my new system crunches it relatively quickly it is still a few minutes on large files. BTW, I did notice that a series of mpeg files can be read as one big file with different chapters - when I tried playing a bunch of mpegs from our DVD player.

I am simply looking for a way to have the chapters automatically be added, i.e., for a large mpeg file to be broken up without having to manually do it and have it recoded each time.

What software do PF1 people use that allows this to happen?

Term_X
14-08-2004, 12:48 PM
program called vcdeasy should do the trick, jus drag in the mpeg u want to br broken into chapters and then u can select "divide into 10 equal chapters" .. or how ever many chapters u want.. what it does then is create a .bin file which is the same mpeg again still one file (doesnt take that long to create also) and also a .cue file which is really just a notepad file with the information at where to create the chapter points in the mpeg.

then open nero.. go to "burn image" open the cue file and burn

done.. a vcd with chapter pts.. vcdeasy also has options for menu's etc.. nice prog.. not sure if its shareware or freeware

cheers

Term X

Steve_L
14-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Term X.
Somewhere I have a freebie copy of VCDEasy. I tried it on my old Win98 PC and gave up when it did not work (probably need at least 98SE but anyway my old PC could not have handled much video crunching.

I'll dig around my back up CDs to find VCDEasy. Do you use it yourself? I wonder if the quality of the mpeg files is the same or if they are degraded by the process?

Steve_L
14-08-2004, 01:17 PM
On CNET Downloads - I notice that 67% of users have negative comments about VCDEasy. See it at:

http://www.download.com/VCDEasy/3000-2189-10265810.html?tag=lst-0-1

Steve_L
14-08-2004, 01:20 PM
That 67% is not worth much as I now see there are a total of only 3 comments by users. VCDEasy seems to have limited uses and costs $25 USD. I'll see if my free version works but would still like to hear what PF1ers recommend.

Term_X
14-08-2004, 11:23 PM
hi there steve, there's no quality downgrade with the resulting bin file that ive noticed and im quite fussy with quality :-) i havent needed to use it for a while but as far as making chapters so easy .. jus enter the # of chapters u want hit ok and let vcdeasy compile the bin. im not one for statistics though and it worked great for me and thats all that counts .. obviously your system specs may determine the overall success of vcdeasy or for that matter any program that requires some sort of video editing. im not sure but i think from memory ulead video factory can create a vcd/svcd/dvd with chapters from a single mpeg.. it sets the chapter points during the compiling and then it burns the result mpeg to disc. a friend of mine had done a few vcd's with home movie mpegs and added chapters with that program. hope you find something you like

cheers

Term X