PDA

View Full Version : XP folder views revisited

Mike S
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I have read the F1 items on getting the 2-pane view of a folder when using ‘My Documents’ or ‘My Computer’ in XP o/s (Lawrence Tucker Jan 2002:Kiwitanker December 2002). I regard clicking on ‘My Documents’ or ‘My Computer’ as direct equivalents of clicking on ‘Explorer’ in Win98.

Neither pieces of correspondence mentioned above seems to provide the answer as to how you get the 2-pane look of Win98 automatically every time, regardless of other settings. e.g. I want the o/s to remember to open ‘My pictures’ in a two-pane view, but with thumbnails for the files and without fiddling with any settings to also open ‘My Documents’ in two-pane view but with Details for the files. And I want the o/s to remember those two sets of parameters every time I view those folders. Can this be done in XP? I can do it in ‘98’.

Also in Win98 I can get the above AND at the same time have the (sub)folders at the top of pane 2 listing and the files in “newest first” order listed underneath – which I also want to do in XP and apparently can’t. In XP the choices I have are:
1. Folders at the top and oldest files right underneath.
2. Newest files at the top but (sub)folders right down the bottom.
Again this runs contrary to Win98.

In short can anybody please tell me how to truly emulate Win98 Explorer in the XP environment?

Mike

Mike S
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Sorry - I lied - I can't do thumbnails in '98'

Mike S

tommy
12-08-2004, 05:58 PM
> how you get the 2-pane look of Win98 automatically every time, regardless of other settings. e.g. I want the o/s to remember to open ‘My pictures’ in a two-pane view, but with thumbnails for the files

Create a shortcut for My Pictures, right click the shortcut and choose Properties and in the Target field put in the following:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures (or the path to your My Pictures folder)
In the Start in field put in the following:
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Double click on the shortcut and when My Pictures folder is open choose the Thumbnails view and other settings that you require then go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab and ensure that there is a tick in "Remember each folder's view settings".

Do the same for My Documents but choose Details for folder view.

> have the (sub)folders at the top of pane 2 listing and the files in “newest first” order listed underneath

Click on the top of Date Modified column to sort with folders at the top and newest files at the bottom of the pane. Click again to reverse the order. As far as I know that is the only option available.

Mike S
24-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice Tommy. I'm delighted that your fix worked very well for that part of the exercise.

It would still be nice to have sub-folders at the top together with latest files. Maybe somebody knows if there's a way???????

Mike S

Rob99
24-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Not sure you realy have a problem have you tried start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.
Arrange Icons by Name / Auto arrange
HTH
Or send a screen shot from your 98 computer

Mike S
24-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Auto Arrange and Align to Grid are both greyed-out on my menu list. I've prepared a good screen shot which illustrates my point - but how the heck do I send it to you? There doesn't appear to be a way of doing it as part of this forum.

Thanks for your interest.

I’m gonna kick myself for asking - - but what’s HTH?

Mike S

Rob99
24-08-2004, 11:02 AM
HTH = Hope This Helps
Click here to upload your images (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/) once they are up loaded hilight the location and paste it into your reply
HTH

Mike S
24-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I have uploaded the screen shot to http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/Win_98_Explorer_screen_shot.jpg

You will see that the folder has the oldest date but appears at the top. This is followed by the YOUNGEST file, with the oldest file at the bottom. That’s the arrangement many of us are used to working with. Ideally it’s what I would like to achieve in the XP environment.

Mike S

Rob99
24-08-2004, 12:10 PM
With Windows Explorer click on View > Details to get the layout then click name then date modified to sort.
http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/windows_explorer_old_view.jpg

Mike S
24-08-2004, 03:37 PM
The folders at the top and the listing of the files beneath them, with the youngest file at the top, is the nub of the problem. Win98 (and 95 for that matter) work that way, and to me the 'XP way' is inconvenient, awkward, unnatural, irritating and plain illogical.

Two thoughts: -
Why did they change it?
Why is it apparently only excruciating to me? Hasn't anybody else found it 'unfriendly'? The deafening silence on this one must mean that the answer is no.

If that is the case I'll consider pulling my head in and learning to live with it.

Nah ................. why change the habits of a lifetime? I'll keep chipping away on my one-man crusade!

Mike S

Mike S
05-09-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm not giving up that easily. There must be a way of getting XP Explorer to behave like Win98 Explorer. Or maybe there's a separate program available somewhere. Has anybody heard of one?

Mike S

Susan B
05-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I have never got around to trying it out myself but PowerDesk (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3491,00.asp) has been recommended here a few times. Not sure if it will do what you want but check out the latest version (http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html) for its features.

As you can see from the first site I linked to the one I have is no longer available but I can send you a copy of mine if you are interested. Just let me know.

Mike S
08-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks Susan,
Power Desk does do exactly what I want. I'd forgotten about Power Desk, having tried it on an older Win98 m/c last year and wiped it due to its' slow running speed (on that platform).

I'm happy now!!

Mike S