PDA

View Full Version : Slipstreaming XP

bk T
11-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Anybody knows how to 'slipstreaming' Windows XP so that I can burn a backup CD and put it aside for future use; just in case I forget or misplaced the CD key.

Cheers

4bes
11-08-2004, 11:18 PM
try This site (http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm)

Pheonix
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
And for those that are lazy, have a look at a nifty program that not only sli[pstreams , but also gives you the ISO. Autostreamer (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337)

bk T
12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Phoenix, that looks great! Have you used it before?

In the brief description screenshots, nothing mention about entering the CD KEY. Don't we require to key in the CD Key during the installation (XP setup process)? This is important, because my main purpose is, if I misplaced the cd key, I can still use this CD to set up Windows.

Rob99
12-08-2004, 12:45 AM
A tip for anyone thinking they might loose CD Keys, CD's, Mobo instructions:

1) Place the OS CD and Drivers CD inside the cover of the mother-board instruction manual along with important CD keys.
2) Pop the side off your computer case, place inside, put the side back on.

Especially useful if you look after many computers and you can't rely on the owners to keep this stuff safe.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 01:12 AM
> Phoenix, that looks great! Have you used it before?
>
> In the brief description screenshots, nothing mention
> about entering the CD KEY. Don't we require to key
> in the CD Key during the installation (XP setup
> process)? This is important, because my main purpose
> is, if I misplaced the cd key, I can still use this
> CD to set up Windows.
I have a problem here trying to figure out what you actually want.

You have a Win XP CD and a key for that. Do not lose that. You paid as we mostly do so protect your CD and key.

Are you looking for an unattended install for example?

I am about to slipstream my WinXP Pro CD to allow me to make a boot WinXP Pro disk with WinXP SP 1 and 2. As I have now worked it out SP2 includes SP1.

Why not use notepad or wordpad or office Word or a pen and paper to actually print or write your actual CD key and make multiple copies even.

Take the output and store elsewhere.

If you just want to make a backup of your original XP CD then make a copy. Or just keep a copy on paper of the CDKey you actually have and store it elsewhere.

For all I know you have a computer like an HP and a recovery disk.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 02:08 AM
> A tip for anyone thinking they might loose CD Keys,
> CD's, Mobo instructions:

>
> 1) Place the OS CD and Drivers CD inside the cover of
> the mother-board instruction manual along with
> important CD keys.
What happens if I deliver a computer along with the Operating System CD, Drivers on CD and Manual? Should I put all this inside the case?

> 2) Pop the side off your computer case, place inside,
> put the side back on.
Oh great. In this day and age you can get a side off a midi or tower case.
What happens if you have a person who owns a midi tower case where the side will not actually come off? You have to take both sides off do you not?

>
> Especially useful if you look after many computers
> and you can't rely on the owners to keep this stuff
> safe.
How do do know who is safe?

So all computers I make I stuff the Motherboard manual, three or more CD Disks and a few extra cables for SATA all inside this case? Maybe DivX spare audio cables and then try to keep it all cool?

So what happens when the next door neighbours kid comes around and opens the case?

When I make a computer I do my best as far as I see it.
I don't use recovery disks and I supply a full version of whatever O/S is required. This along with whatever applications are wanted.

I just can't stop people "lending " their CDs to other people.

This does happen.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 02:11 AM
My apologies for a double post.

Rob99
12-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Please ignore my previous post Elephant, maybe it was a bit to technical

Elephant
12-08-2004, 02:39 AM
> Please ignore my previous post Elephant, maybe it was
> a bit to technical

I don't ignore any posts. I read and learn more.
Can you say though that quite a few people here in this forum know how to open a system case? This in particular the people asking for help.

I would like to know how you re-route cables to go around the motherboard manual and CD disks you have inside the case.

What stops people opening a case? A few screws as I understand it.

What man can put together then man can take apart.

My apologies to any Ladies reading this.

Rob99
12-08-2004, 02:57 AM
> I don't ignore any posts. I read and learn more.
Good please read on and learn more.
> Can you say though that quite a few people here in this forum know how to open a system case? This in particular the people asking for help.
If those people in particular asked how to open their case, someone would tell them.
> What stops people opening a case? A few screws as I understand it.
Indeed you are correct, you must have been reading and learning.
> What man can put together then man can take apart.
Now my turn for reading and learning, thanks for that info.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 04:09 AM
> > I don't ignore any posts. I read and learn more.
> Good please read on and learn more.
OK. Still reading as you are posting.

> > Can you say though that quite a few people here in
> this forum know how to open a system case? This in
> particular the people asking for help.

> If those people in particular asked how to open their
> case, someone would tell them.
Oh then OK. Then they can stuff all manuals CDs iside the case can they not? Your advise as I see it.

> > What stops people opening a case? A few screws as I
> understand it.
> Indeed you are correct, you must have been reading
> and learning.

I think so but there again I can be wrong.

> > What man can put together then man can take apart.

> Now my turn for reading and learning, thanks for that
> info.
When you make computers and do the warranties etc as I do then you may actually keep Customers.

My point was that you don't stuff CDs and manuals inside a case.
This may give you cooling issues. Apart from that I may have supplied a full system to someone and I feel that it is their system. They get on to a forum or some other Tech and that person says "This system is overheating" and then opens the case. Oh goodness gracious me. A CD or Manual just happens to be stuck over the CPU fan or PSU fan or Video fan or where the person stuck it. Any person in my view has the right to run any operating system and any applications on any system I supply.

Later the person the computer was supplied to may be told WinXP or MSDOS 3.3 was not the correct operating system for the applications you want to run.

The other point was that how do you know whom to trust.

The issue as far as I work it out is that some people will lend or give or lose software.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Keep on not trusting people. Most of the time I do supply and trust.

Back to the cars again. You sell me a Porche and tell me I should only depress the accelerator 2.54 mm ( one inch ) and if I depress the pedal more than that then I just may exceed a speed limit. Are you not going to sell me this car as you assume that going on various things I have said you think I will depress the accelerator as far down as it will go?

bk T
12-08-2004, 09:31 AM
> ...
> Are you looking for an unattended install for
> example ...

Firstly, I want to make a backup copy of my original XP CD and since I am making a copy, why not slipstream SP1, SP2 and the CD KEY as well so that I can perform an unattended install in the future.

Sorry for not making myself clear enough, Elephant.

Cheers

Pheonix
12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi bk T , I have used the program several times and it works a treat. I must admit, you confused me as well. Just to clear things up for you, slipstreaming just "merges" the Service Pack and the operating system. This gives you a CD, that if you had to do a "repair" or file check, then it would have all the correct files (in this case) SP2., for your XP SP2 installation. Saves a lot of time on an install/reinstall as well, not having to load XP then SP2.

The CD just contains the files for the operating system and does not contain your CD code. That is why you have the extra certificate/sticker with the number on.

Rob99
12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Slipstreaming your SP with Windows is a good idea, but you will need to set up an unattended install after you have slipstreamed. More info here (http://www.hytekcomputer.com/Articles/XPInstall/1.shtml)

And further to the OT part of this thread, in hindsight maybe my tip was a little missguided as Elephant has pointed out all the complications with it. (But I live life on the edge, and have figured out if I lay the few things I mentioned flat on the bottom of the case they do not obstruct anything)

Pheonix
12-08-2004, 09:55 AM
The microsft instructions for unattended install here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314459)

Actually Rob99,, I am inclined to agree with you but with one provision, that they are just "backup" copies. How many clients lose their disks is amazing, while others are organised and careful.

Murray P
12-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Have a lookn at Snake Foot's (http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/install.html) slipstreaming service packs, item 11 down for XP. I'm not sure if the Win2k CD key method works for XP, try it. &:

Tack Tech (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295) slipstreaming, to add to your reading material.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2004, 12:42 PM
That program is wicked good Phoenix, thanks!

bk T
12-08-2004, 09:50 PM
After slipstreamed XP, entered all the necessary information for unattended installation, how to burn a bootable CD?

Elephant
12-08-2004, 10:53 PM
> And for those that are lazy, have a look at a nifty
> program that not only sli[pstreams , but also gives
> you the ISO.
> Autostreamer (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1
> 8337)

I received that program today and have made a bootable WinXP XP2 CD at this point in time.

Please note that I have not yet turned my software into a unattended CDRom at this time.

I used my WinXP Pro cd and the XP Service pack 2 to create the *.ISO on my hard drive. Used Alcohol 120 to burn the reultant image to CD.

This boots happily.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 11:16 PM
> The microsft instructions for unattended install
> here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb
> EN-US;314459)
>
> Actually Rob99,, I am inclined to agree with you but
> with one provision, that they are just "backup"
> copies. How many clients lose their disks is amazing,
> while others are organised and careful.
True and I am not always correct myself.

Oh bugger. I will need to insert a floppy drive in my system then to point the XP SP2 to the floppy drive with the *.sif file?

This is definitely the answer file which will contain the CD Key. This among other things.

I would like to point a full installion with answer file with CD Key to the same CD disk as WinXP Pro resides on. All unattended as what the first post was really asking for. (I think)

Insert CD and reboot and walk away. No prompts as to CD Key, Country, Time zone, language, Video card, Printer, Scanner, TV card, Modem etc.

This is what recovery disks are all about are they not?

While I don't think that recovery CDs are the be all and end all of computing they do have their uses at times.

Elephant
12-08-2004, 11:34 PM
> And further to the OT part of this thread, in
> hindsight maybe my tip was a little missguided as
> Elephant has pointed out all the complications with
> it. (But I live life on the edge, and have figured
> out if I lay the few things I mentioned flat on the
> bottom of the case they do not obstruct anything)

I hereby apologise to you. I am very sorry.
My main point was that certain people can (lose) or (lend) CDs.
This thread seemed to start with Slipstreaming or unattended type install.

Do you not agree that any person who buys a computer has the right to do what they want?

End User Licence Agreements have certain phrases which may turn you off.

For example you buy a Dell system and pay X dollars. Comes with certain hardware and software. Being as you happen to buy this lot at whatever price and it comes with with WinXP well why not? You later think I need a bigger Hard drive or better Video card maybe. I have nothing against a Dell system provided it works for the person who bought it

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I did same as Elephant and used it today! Works a treat! Customer came asking for a re-install so they were my test subject :D

Many thanks for the tip on a great piece of software!

Rob99
13-08-2004, 12:12 AM
> Do you not agree that any person who buys a computer has the right to do what they want?
Yes.

Hey, while you are setting things up there how easy is it to set up the unattended install and use a floppy just for the CD key?
Can you insert both disks boot the CD and leave it?

Elephant
13-08-2004, 02:30 AM
> > Do you not agree that any person who buys a
> computer has the right to do what they want?
> Yes.
>
> Hey, while you are setting things up there how easy
> is it to set up the unattended install and use a
> floppy just for the CD key?
> Can you insert both disks boot the CD and leave it?

I must admit that I have not set up the unattended install yet.
As I see it you create a slipstreamed CD which will give you an ISO image. This I have done today. I am thinking that I want to create the slipstreamed CD Win XP bootable disk and this has been done that to Pheonix. I am now looking at how to do an unattended install without using a floppy drive.

For the unattended bit you need to create a *.sif file like an answer file so that this will supply all answers like the CD key, Region, Your name and other things like that.

I am also checking how all motherboard drivers (chipsets) and AGP cards get installed as well on the unattended install.

Rob99
13-08-2004, 02:41 AM
I was reading somewhere you can beef up the installed driver package so it will run nearly all hardware. I'll try to track it down in the morning.

Rob99
13-08-2004, 02:45 AM
This (http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm) was what I was thinking about

Elephant
13-08-2004, 02:45 AM
> > Do you not agree that any person who buys a
> computer has the right to do what they want?
> Yes.
>
> Hey, while you are setting things up there how easy
> is it to set up the unattended install and use a
> floppy just for the CD key?
> Can you insert both disks boot the CD and leave it?
Once again my apologies. I burbled on. You should be able to create an answer file on floppy and insert both the version of XP you have and a floppy answer file. Boot off the CD to install and all answers will be supplied from a small file on the floppy. This will include the CD key you have. I know this works as I used this method to create a slipstreamed SP1 CD.

More to the point I also know that SP2 includes SP1.

I was under the impression that you had to be running WinXP SP1 before SP2 will install. This may be like Win2000 and WinNT. Both of those will update the original CD without installing service pack 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc.

If you happen to use WinNT as your operating system then just use SP4 for example.

Elephant
13-08-2004, 02:55 AM
> [url=http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm]This[/u
> l] was what I was thinking about

It is the morning is it not? Now that I have caught your attention I thank you for that link. I had a brief look but am now off to the sack. It looks as if it will work but I have not yet checked it fully.

:-)

bk T
13-08-2004, 10:50 AM
>
> ... I am now looking at how to do an unattended
> install without using a floppy drive.
> ...

I would be nice to share your experience after you've succeeded.

Cheers

Fishb8
15-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi People
This all sounds pretty complicated, to me. How about somebody starting a service to turn a customers' Win XP disc into a Win XP SP2. Any of you guys up for this? Is this allowable by MS?
I'd be interested as I'm sure would other people.

Susan B
15-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Haven't had a chance to read it all yet but there is a how-to article on slipstreaming here (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626).

I am glad you started this thread, bk T, I have learnt quite a bit from it and will have a go at slipstreaming myself sometime soon. :-)

Susan B
15-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh, and keep us posted on how you get on. :-)

Mike
15-08-2004, 04:54 PM
> Haven't had a chance to read it all yet but there is
> a how-to article on slipstreaming
> here (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=
> 626).
>
> I am glad you started this thread, bk T, I have
> learnt quite a bit from it and will have a go at
> slipstreaming myself sometime soon. :-)

I've slipstreamed before - nothing to it if you follow the instructions. Maybe a FAQ should be written on slipstreaming :)

I shall find the instructions I've got somewhere and post a link in here as they were very clear and worked first time. There may be updates needed due to SP2 out now, but shouldn't be too different/difficult.

Mike.

Mike
15-08-2004, 04:58 PM
> > I am glad you started this thread, bk T, I have
> > learnt quite a bit from it and will have a go at
> > slipstreaming myself sometime soon. :-)
>
> I've slipstreamed before - nothing to it if you
> follow the instructions. Maybe a FAQ should be
> written on slipstreaming :)
>
> I shall find the instructions I've got somewhere and
> post a link in here as they were very clear and
> worked first time. There may be updates needed due
> to SP2 out now, but shouldn't be too
> different/difficult.

Here are the instructions I used to slipstream Windows XP SP1 (they have been updated to cover SP2, but they're not much different, if at all). I am quite happy to help anyone who gets stuck on the way :D

Mike.

bk T
15-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Many thanks to Press F1 forum for giving us the opportunity to learn and share our experiences. This is really a great site.

I've really learnt a lot these few days. For your information, I have successfully slipstreamed XP and SP2 and also put in the unattended installation file (winnt.sif) and burnt it to a CD.

Thanks everyone especially Mike who is so patient with me and has given us very easy to follow instructions. :) :)

Mike
15-08-2004, 05:35 PM
> I've really learnt a lot these few days. For your
> information, I have successfully slipstreamed XP and
> SP2 and also put in the unattended installation file
> (winnt.sif) and burnt it to a CD.

But did it work? :)

Mike.

Susan B
15-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Great stuff. :-)

Does it work, though? ;-) :D

Keep us posted on that, too, bk T. :-)

bk T
15-08-2004, 05:59 PM
> Great stuff. :-)
>
> Does it work, though? ;-) :D
>
> Keep us posted on that, too, bk T. :-)
>

Good question. Haven't got the chance to try yet. But I used quite similar method to slipstream Office 2003 and SP1 and unattended installation. It works like magic! Just love it!

Fishb8
17-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Well, I really tried hard and eventually got AutoStreamer working and burned a disc. Thought I'd try to see if it would boot and YES, sucess. Removed disc and re-booted normally. Came up with the error "missing NTLDR" press control... to reboot. Same error. Tried putting in my new disc - and it booted up ok. So now can only re-boot by putting in windows XP disc. What do I need to do now? I hate this!

Murray P
17-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Do any of these (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm) match your situation? I would guess you boot.ini has been changed.

Cheers Murray P

bk T
17-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Fishb8, have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS back to C: ?

bk T
19-08-2004, 11:19 AM
>
>
>
>
Finally, got a chance to test my newly 'completed Project' - but to my great disappointment, it doesn't boot!!!

Have re-burnt another CD but still the same.

Have followed all instructions closely, though.

How to make it boot? ?:|

Used Nero 6 to create the bootable CD; using the Microsoft Corporation's img boot file extracted from the original XP CD.

Error message while booting:

" Boot from ATAPI CD ROM:
1 FD 1.44MB System Type - (06)
CD Boot: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 4"

What's next? ?:|

CYaBro
19-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Are you setting the Emulation type to "No Emulation"?
It may be set to Floppy Emulation.
Also double-check the "Number of Loaded sectors" is set to 4!!

neptune
19-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Can someone tell me how to slipstream SP 2 on Win XP that have their CD keys blacklisted by MS ]:) ]:)

bk T
19-08-2004, 12:43 PM
> Are you setting the Emulation type to "No
> Emulation"?
> It may be set to Floppy Emulation.
> Also double-check the "Number of Loaded sectors" is
> set to 4!!

I think you are right. The emulation type was probably set to Floppy.
Number of Loaded sectors is 4

What about 'Load segment of sectors [hex]: should I leave as it is: 07C0 or set it to 0000?

Also, the Volume Label, must be the same as the original CD or ...

Still in the Label menu, what to put in the Joliet box?

Thanks.

CYaBro
19-08-2004, 12:57 PM
> What about 'Load segment of sectors [hex]: should I
> leave as it is: 07C0 or set it to 0000?
Leave it at 07C0

> Also, the Volume Label, must be the same as the
> original CD or ...
I always make it the same as the original but I don't think it matters

> Still in the Label menu, what to put in the Joliet
> box?
There should be a box to tick to make it use the same label as the ISO9660. If not just make it the same.

Another one to watch out for is on the ISO tab.
You should have an option to tick "Do not add the ":1" ISO file version extension" Make sure this is ticked as well. If you don't have this option you need to update your copy of Nero!

bk T
19-08-2004, 01:09 PM
>
> > Still in the Label menu, what to put in the Joliet
> > box?
> There should be a box to tick to make it use the same
> label as the ISO9660. If not just make it the same.
>
This should be ticked? I remember vaguely that someone was saying that this should be unchecked. ?:|

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Here's not the place Neptune - Find another Key.....

Fishb8
19-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys
Tried Murray's suggestions using repair, copy etc but all I got was 'Access denied"
Tried 'fixboot c' command and voila, it's all fixed.
BTW using Autostreamer, and Nero 6 to burn my image, I've got a bootable disc. Easy, even I did it.
When I first loaded Autostreamer, I ran it from my Desktop but all I got was an'runtime error 5', Invalid procedure call or argument! Looked up the Neowin forums and saw to load it to a 'proper' file, so I created a folder in 'Program Files' and it works well.

bk T
22-08-2004, 06:34 PM
>
>
>

Just tested my slipstreamed SP2 and Unattended installation CD on a 'Test Machine', it is really cool! It works like magic - setting Windows with SP2 is a breeze. Just put the CD in and everything is done automatically. I only need to input the size of HDD's partitions (as I wanted to control this item) and that's it - all done! :) :)

Mike
22-08-2004, 07:40 PM
> It works like magic

Brilliant - good to hear :)

Well done!

Mike.