PDA

View Full Version : Care of laptop battery

Shortstop
11-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Until now a laptop has been my only computer. I now have a desktop and will use the laptop for backups and the occasional trip away.

Is it better to:

1. Unplug the battery and use power

or

2. Keep charging and discharging the battery regularly

lagbort
11-08-2004, 09:39 PM
if you are mostly going to have the lpatop hooked up to mains power, do not leave the battery in, we made this mistake and within 6 months the battery was absolutely stuffed it would not hold a charge

pulling hair out
12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi.
I've had my Toshiba notebook for 5 mths now.

Was warned by the shop that sold it to me that if I did not use the battery at least once a week and use it up completely, ie till computer warns you to switch to normal power, then the battery would lose its ability to charge up fully again. And if I wasn't going to do that, then to take it out.

I think they can only be recharged so many times anyway.

I'm too lazy to pull it out. We often get powercuts here in Winter and I figured it would be handy left in. But I do make sure that battery is discharged completely at least once a week.

Agree with previous post that it should be taken out though.

Marg.

godfather
12-08-2004, 12:30 AM
If that was a Lithium Ion battery, I would suggest the fault would be with the laptop charger circuitry more than anything else, as that should not happen.

If its an older NiMh battery, then its *possible* but those are not common on newer laptops any more.

From www.batteryuniversity.com:

"The question is often asked if one should disconnect the laptop from the mains when not in use. With lithium-ion it does not matter. Once the battery is fully charged, no further charge is applied."

And that is my experience as well. My laptop is on charge 24/7, with occasional forays out in the field. The battery has been going 18 months now and is still fine.

Alasta
12-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I have had my Apple iBook for almost two years. I run it on power 90% of the time, and just use the battery on the odd occassion. I have never taken the battery out of the machine while it is running on power (doing so would leave a huge gap in the chassis anyway), and I have never fully discharged the battery.

Despite this, the battery still holds its charge just as well as it did when it was brand new.

robo
12-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I agree that modern batteries (Li-ion) shouldn't be a problem, but I think that no using battery power at all for six months would be asking for trouble.
I would use it on batteries at least once a month. I have a notebook that goes for months without being turned on, but that isn't plugged in to power in between uses.
Execs that leave laptops on desks for a year then wonder why the battery is no good deserve all they get.
robo.

Shortstop
12-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for replies. It is a Li-ion - have used it charging and discharging for 3 years with no worries. Will leave it in and continue to use the battery regularly.

metla
12-08-2004, 11:52 AM
My laptop battery died completly.

2 weeks old when she retired.

Shattered.

Must get around to getting the replacement.

metla
12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
well well well.

Seems it pays not to swear at the man behind the Asus helpdesk.

Brought the entire conversation to a halt,then i had to jump though hoops apologising to the guy before we could continue.

Well done on his part. :D

theother1
12-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I have a new Asus Laptop which I mainly use in the office. How should I store the battery? charged or not?

theother1
12-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I have a new Asus Laptop which I mainly use in the office. How should I store the battery? charged or not?

Shortstop
13-08-2004, 10:53 PM
My vote would be for charging the battery at least once a week and fully discharging it at least once a month. I've done that for over 3 years and the battery is still perky.

Growly
14-08-2004, 12:03 AM
> My laptop battery died completly.
>
> 2 weeks old when she retired.
>
> Shattered.
>
> Must get around to getting the replacement.

Blame me.

Other than that - I'd have to say the same as godfather, NiMh batteries do not have a memory affect - recharging and charging them should not result in a loss of charge.

Steve_L
14-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Shortstop, et. al. - - Thanks for posting this topic.

My wife's 2 yr old laptop has always had its battery inside and I have now noticed its life is degrading. So I have run the laptop on battery until it shut down due to a low battery charge, then charged it fully - and have repeated this 3 times. Now the battery appears to have been rejuvenated and now I will take it out and store it separately.

BTW if anyone wants to try the above drain/recharge, be sure to alter the Power Settings / on Battery - via the Control Panel - so that the laptop does not automatically shut down after a few minutes.