PDA

View Full Version : Running Office XP over a Network

M@TT
11-08-2004, 06:57 PM
I have Office XP installed on a home machine and I want to be able to run it over the network from another pc. How do i go about doing this?

thanks for any help
M@TT

godfather
11-08-2004, 07:32 PM
You need the "Enterprise" edition of XP.

Look here for a step-by-step, but if you have just a single licence retail version, I don't think its going to work?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;304953

godfather
11-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Typo:
You need the "Enterprise" edition of Office XP

M@TT
11-08-2004, 08:05 PM
oh, i only have professional edition. So that pretty much means there is no way of sharing it all?
Microsoft are getting a little picky over their versions I think

Elephant
11-08-2004, 08:40 PM
> oh, i only have professional edition. So that pretty
> much means there is no way of sharing it all?
> Microsoft are getting a little picky over their
> versions I think

Possibly and in your opinion.

If you want to do this then go get the version of Office you require.
I note that some versions of Office XP will include Access for example and if you want this then by all means pay for it. Each version of Office depending on the variety will cost more or less.

If you only need a Student version and only pay for same then that is fine.

If I needed to run Office XP 2003 over a network then I guess I would have to go buy the version that will do it.

Most people in my opinion can just get a Version of Works from Microsoft and this will allow them to use a Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Database. They can then do mail merge and other things that will work very well. Works will do very well on a single computer running Win95 or Win98 and does in fact run on WinXP.

The problems always arise when you create a good document under Works with a name.wps and then send this to a person who does not have Works installed.

Have a check on file formats and extensions. Have a google about viewers.