PDA

View Full Version : Woosh USB connection

bk T
10-08-2004, 08:36 PM
A friend of mine has big problem with his Woosh USB modem and his XP Pro OS. After installing the modem driver, XP crashes very frequently. Phoned Woosh helpdesk and was told to use Ethernet connection. Is this a known problem of just his luck?

Would really appreciate comments from existing Woosh users.

Cheers

kiki
10-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Haven't heard of this problem before. Maybe he's got issues/conflicts with his USB hardware. USB has some issues with certain motherboards like mine (Gigabyte GA7N400Pro2). On mine I had to have XP SP1 and install a patch on the motherboard CD or get the Nvidia Nforce chipset drivers.

Ethernet cord is a bit better anyway, but for Woosh you want the WRT54GS for ultimate stability, reliability and speed.

R2x1
10-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi, haven't had any problems like that, I must say I prefer the ethernet connection, but I need it for Linux anyway. I use the usb connection occasionaly in windows (like right now) when I want other tricks with the ethernet port. Perhaps if he un-installs the woosh set-up and re-installs it will help. I have not tried the woosh usb from the hub, just direct from one of the MOBO sockets. Is he using the usb 1.1 or usb 2 set-up in the bios? I believe the SP1 USB 2 drivers were a tad flaky.
Once he has it running, it will connect and run better using the windows connect software than it does with the supplied software, which is not a good example of visual basic (Is that an oxymoron?)
Cheers R2

bk T
10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
> ... Is he using the
> usb 1.1 or usb 2 set-up in the bios?

His machine is an old PIII using CUSL2-C motherboard, so, I reckon is using USB1.

Do you think adding a new USB 2 pci card will solve the problem?

Cheers

Murray P
10-08-2004, 09:31 PM
If your thinking of adding a PCI USB card why not put an ethernet adpater in instead. It's my opinion that ethernet is the more reliable and efficient way to connect a router anyway, not that that has to sway anyone ;)

Another issue copuld be if it's connecting to a hub rather than a port, some devices just do not like that.

Could be the overheads USB is adding has brocken the back of his PC but he would have neede to be right on the edge anyway if that was the case.

As above, c**p drivers.

Cheers Murray P

bk T
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
> If your thinking of adding a PCI USB card why not put
> an ethernet adpater in instead. It's my opinion that
> ethernet is the more reliable and efficient way to
> connect a router anyway, not that that has to sway
> anyone ;)
>
Probably a good idea. As regards Ethernet cable, how do I set this up? What IP address, DNS, Default gateway, etc to use?

Never setup one before. :8}

Cheers

kiki
11-08-2004, 03:56 PM
> Probably a good idea. As regards Ethernet cable, how do I set this up? What IP address, DNS, Default gateway, etc to use?

Simply uninstall the software, reboot, then install the Woosh software again and it has an option at the start that asks you if it will be connected by USB or Ethernet.

Done. :)

bk T
11-08-2004, 04:32 PM
>> Simply uninstall the software, reboot, then install
> the Woosh software again and it has an option at the
> start that asks you if it will be connected by USB or
> Ethernet.
>
> Done. :)

kiki, am I right to say that the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer's NIC adaptor and it's not necesssary to enter any IP address, etc into this network card?

How about if I want to connect this Woosh modem to a network of 3 PCs? Of course, the PCs are networked through a hub the normal way. Do I plug this Woosh modem to the Hub and run the setup cd on each of the computers? Or how do I go about setting it up for all the three pcs to share this Internet connection? This doesn't sound quite right to me. ?:|

cheers

R2x1
11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi,
I don't think it is neccesary to get a USB 2 card, USB1 is useable, just try it with USB 1 enabled in the BIOS to see if that is the problem.
Installation is normally straightforward if you RTFM and "follow the dots". I found it difficult to install in Fedora 2, but a breeze in Mandrake 10. Windows is simple enough (If you don't plug in the modem until the install requests it. ;) )
Maybe to narrow your problem seeking field, it would pay to set up the modem initially on a single machine, whether you use USB or ethernet. Once you are established, try the networking set-up.
Trying for more complexity is not neccesarily helpful when it isn't working yet ?:|
(Please don't ask how many times I have demonstrated this.)
R2

bk T
11-08-2004, 07:39 PM
No. USB just doesn't work. We got a brand new HDD, had a clean installation of XP Pro ran the system for a day connected to a Jetstream ADSL network without any problem. Scanned with AVG (latest updates), Scanned with Ad-Aware and Spybot, all cleared. It is a clean, virus, spyware free system with only the Printer driver installed (of course with all the basic generic Windows drivers).

Hardly a minute after installing the Woosh's USB cd set up, XP starting to crash. Rang Woosh's help desk 3 times, all advised to get an Ethernet cable.

We would like to know how to setup this 'Ethernet Woosh' connection for sharing with other computers as mentioned in my last post above.

Cheers

bk T
11-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Searched the Woosh website found very little information about setting up this Woosh modem.

I don't think I'll opt for Woosh or recommend anyone else to use Woosh.

Murray P
11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
There was an article in the May or June PC World on setting up and troubleshooting wireless connections bk. Dare I say it, I think the networking FAQ should be amended or a new one for Wireless written. umm no! I'm not putting my hand up, someone with wireless experience should do it. I can lay my hands on a railroad though if someone would like to supply the raw materials in the form of a breathing body we'll have our candidate ;)

BTW, might be something at Windows Networking (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm) which has how to's on all the different ways to network and share your internet connection.

Cheers Murray P

kiki
11-08-2004, 09:26 PM
If you've got the Woosh installation CD there, what else do you need?

Plug it in to the ethernet adapter on your PC, make sure it's going by dialing up as you would on USB and use ICS to share the connection for the other PCs on the hub.

Using ICS is as simple as right clicking the Woosh connection and sharing it. Then on the other PCs change the gateway to that PC.

bk T
11-08-2004, 09:47 PM
> ...
> Plug it in to the ethernet adapter on your PC, make
> sure it's going by dialing up as you would on USB and
> use ICS to share the connection for the other PCs on
> the hub.
>
> Using ICS is as simple as right clicking the Woosh
> connection and sharing it. Then on the other PCs
> change the gateway to that PC.

Yes, you can use ICS to share the Internet connection but, the 'Host' computer must be on all the times! If the 'Host' computer is not ON, other machines on the network will not be able to connect to the Internet! This isn't an ideal way of sharing Internet connection. Its like a dial-up Internet connection, right?

kiki
11-08-2004, 10:09 PM
That's exactly right. So get the WRT54GS.