PDA

View Full Version : Bloomin' SMART

Growly
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Hello,

I just spent three days straight configuring and installing Gentoo. Now, when I go to turn it on for the first time after finally attempting to boot after install, I am greeted with a SMART error message.

WARNING!! Back-up all data now, hard disk failure may be imminent!

Great.

I was just wondering what people's experiences were with SMART failures - how long do I have?

Megaman
10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Well generally it's wise to not ignore those messages :p

ilikelinux
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
what kernel did you compile?

Growly
10-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I compiled gentoo-sources 2.4.26 (or was it .24)...

Anyway - I don't plan on ignoring it - I just wanted to know how long I had before it completely died (how many powerups, for example).

It may have something to do with the faulty power cord that caused it to resarts continuously every 5 seconds...

ilikelinux
10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
what is giving the SMART error? gentoo, grub/lilo or the bios?

Growly
10-08-2004, 07:26 PM
BIOS

Bazza
10-08-2004, 07:39 PM
About 3 years ago, I was using SMART and got a similar warning like you describe Growly.

It was alarming and so I sent the PC to the suppliers to check that and other problems.

They dismissed the SMART report, & said it was unreliable.

I guess they were correct as now, 3 years later the Seagate HDD is fine.

Well thats my experience. Maybe others can comment on SMART.

mikebartnz
10-08-2004, 08:04 PM
You could get Steve Gibson's Spinrite (http://grc.com/)

drcspy
10-08-2004, 08:07 PM
nah dont spend money ......just identify what type of hdd you got then goto the manufacturers site and download THEIR diagnostic program, you'll find it's free, and run that........that'll at least either confirm or otherwise what SMART is tellign you

Growly
10-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Ah - excellent thinking.

(I was gonna use something like scandisk, but in hindsight these programs would be far better).

Cheer bos.

mikebartnz
11-08-2004, 02:25 AM
> nah dont spend money
Ah but Spinrite can do way more than the manufacturers diagnostic program as you can recover files with it.
From what I have heard Scandisk can often cause more trouble than it is worth if things are truely failing.

drcspy
11-08-2004, 07:31 AM
yep mike but I wasn't mentioning scandisk, I have seen that cause trouble by renaming ALL files/folders in windows lol......ouch...........mfg's diagnostic prog is free and very good idea to try on any suspect drive........then if you NEED some program like spinrite for file recovery well .