PDA

View Full Version : Ram/XP

effie C
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I have 192 mb of ram in my equivalent to a Pll computer and with a 500Mhz CPU and a total of 19 gb hard drive space- I used to have W 98SE.-- all using AMD hardware.

The whole set up is going pretty well ( no doubt thanks to the the advice received from F1 and others :-)

I intend to replace the tower/computer in the near future with 16-1900Ghz CPU and a new motherboard and CD burner etc- when I build up the cash box a little more.

I have one spare slot in which I can insert morer RAM of 128 mb which I am told will immeasurably speed up my somewhat ancient puta
:-)-
this at about $60 second hand - if available.

It is not too slow, but I run into stalled workings as I open up more than the minimum programs at the same time.

Will this, in fact make these "stallings"( they come right after a time) a thing of the past and will it actaully speed up the programs anyway and as well

And has anybody got 128 of AMD ram for sale?

effie c

Gods-Hitman
10-08-2004, 05:34 PM
AMD Ram?
as far as I know, theres no such thing but
What speed are you after? DDR SD ?

godfather
10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
More RAM will certainly help, but a bottleneck will still remain to an extent with the 500 MHz CPU.

I have run XP here on a 600 MHz CPU / 128 MB RAM PC, and it did speed up with 256 MB RAM, but it only got rid of about half the sluggishness.

You RAM is "probably" SDRAM, 133 (or 100) MHz speed?

Worth doing though.

FeuerBrennt
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
>And has anybody got 128 of AMD ram for sale?

I've got an unused PC2100 256ddr ram from Hynix....will this help? I would sell it for 60 bucks....

godfather
10-08-2004, 06:32 PM
> I've got an unused PC2100 256ddr ram from
> Hynix....will this help? I would sell it for 60
> bucks....

I doubt that a 600 MHZ AMD would/could use DDR (wrong slots)
And also its likely that 128 may be the max. per stick in older motherboards.

Growly
10-08-2004, 06:54 PM
>And also its likely that 128 may be the max. per stick in older motherboards.

Or 64 :( But if you pit a larger one in you'll still get the max 128 or so out of it - bit of a shame though.

effie C
10-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi F B,
ddr ram won't fit - I have had a degree-ed tech assisting and he looked at my computer and immediately diagnosed AMD ram - with a vacant slot - DDR ram is pertaining to newer modern putas so sorry won't work.

I am intrigued at one reply sayng there is no such thing as AMD ram - who do I believe?

At this moment I have no choice as I see it but to wait until my "gold coin" collection swells a lot lot more

Any other comments please?
effie c

effie C
10-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Godfather,
yes- as far as I am aware I have sdram - 192 mb off it - with 188 mb available-- is there a "ram speed measurement"?- by th etone of your reply - it would speed up the puta but not correct the hangups- is that as you meant it?
If this be so I must walk away from spending what in the ling run wil buy me :-
Quote ( X 20 )
AMD entry system using my h/d drives MSI mainboard
6X USB 2.0
10/100 lan
Duron1.8 Ghz CPU
CPU fan
256 mb ddr 333 ram
ATX case with 300 watt PSU
Floppy dreive
$429

And (2)
Intel entry system
MS16487 VIA 74 M4KM FSB533
6 X USB 2.0
10/100 LAN
Celeron2.4 Ghz CPU
CPU fan
256 mg ddr 333 RAM
ATX case with 300 watt PSU
floppy drive
$475
any comment? - these quotes come from one of my previous tutors now commercially employed
effie c

the highlander
10-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Believe what you are reading here. There is no such thing as "amd ram"
The ram in your comp is probably sd ram which is interchangeable with intel,via,sis and other systems.
The techy you talked too must have had too much cough syrup for lunch. :-)

Elephant
10-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Based on Effie post I see two computer both of which use DDR333 RAM.

I guess I am as confused as you are????

I have some SDRam here I am quite happy to GIVE away but only to the right person and motherboard.

The post says both computers are better than 500 Mhz processors.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 10:37 PM
> Hi F B,
> ddr ram won't fit - I have had a degree-ed tech
> assisting and he looked at my computer and
> immediately diagnosed AMD ram - with a vacant slot -
> DDR ram is pertaining to newer modern putas so sorry
> won't work.
1: Get a new Technician.
2: Your other post seemed to indicate you have DDR333 RAM
3: There is definitely no such thing as AMD RAM.

> I am intrigued at one reply sayng there is no such
> thing as AMD ram - who do I believe?
You believe me and the other person who posted.
I would think that you are using a motherboard which uses SDRAM now and I happen to have some of that lying about you can have really cheap. Like $0.00. Is that cheap enough?
For that price I will install when I next go to Hamilton.
I usually get up there from Tokoroa about once every week or two.

> At this moment I have no choice as I see it but to
> wait until my "gold coin" collection swells a lot lot
> more
>
> Any other comments please?
> effie c

tweak\'e
10-08-2004, 11:33 PM
> have 192 mb of ram in my equivalent to a Pll computer and with a 500Mhz CPU......... I used to have W 98SE

i assume you have upgraded from 98se to XP ??

if so then you will want a least 256 meg ram. most likly it will sdram (pc100 or pc133).

the cpu you have is certainly not an equivalent of a p2. the k6-2's where budget end cpu's that competed against the celeron (and did a resonable good job of it).

the quotes seem to be missing a few things, namely a decent hardrive as i doubt you would have a very fast harddrive thats worth putting in a new pc. but i can't really tell without model numbers.

also most likly you will need a few minor things like new keybord (most k6-2 mobo's used AT keyboards not ps2)

i would shop around for upgrade boxes and see what there is advailable.

godfather
11-08-2004, 01:43 AM
I agree with tweak'e.

A total "upgrade box" would ultimately likely be as economic as what you propose. Investigate it closely before you decide.

And I repeat whats been said above several times, and which you still seem to view with doubt, , there is no such thing as "AMD RAM".

You possibly misheard the description of "SD RAM", which is what the older PC is most likely to use.

And Elephant, you seem to have spotted effie C's description of possible replacements motherboard and assumed they were existing. Not so. Yet.

What I was saying (based on experience with a 600 MHz Celeron) is that you could expect the sluggishness and delays to be "about half" of what they are now, with 256 MB of RAM. Not all gone, but noticeably better.

effie C
11-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi Elephant

I feel a little embarressed - I certainly will take your spare ram if you please-I see Godfather agrees I should get a bit faster with more ram - it is just that this tech who was upgrading a retired schoolteacher friend of mine made this comment ( and he swore he had a degree in putas :-(

Oh well, I usualy depend on you guys in F1 and at least one of my now grown up tutors who is in the trade- and quoted his two prices in a previous reply.

To irritate matters more- this itinerant tech dropped by here - had a look at the ram sockets and said that the P1 puta that he was replacing had different ram and it would not fit--- hence my query ( I would have bought that old P1 for bits but for his comments)

Right how do I contact you - I live in the north end of Tramway Road in Hamilton- I have used my address on this forum- Susan B even knows my name ( and she sounds nice at that ;-)

The last time I used my address I ended up with 90 unsolicited spam a day until I paid for and installed mailwasher- now down to about a dozen

I am very tempted, because of the success of mailwasher- to print the address again

perhaps the white pages online will get you my phone number and we can discuss things like civilized persons

Eddie Chibnall aka effie c ---

By looking at the address etc ,you might even be able to see how I arrived at my pseudonym :-)

Reply via this forum if you prefere but 07 8554329 should get me

Susan B
11-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Eddie, click on Elephant's name and you will see his email address in his profile. Then you can drop him a line. :-)

Elephant
12-08-2004, 04:37 AM
> Hi Elephant
>
> I feel a little embarressed - I certainly will take
> your spare ram if you please-I see Godfather agrees I
> should get a bit faster with more ram - it is just
> that this tech who was upgrading a retired
> schoolteacher friend of mine made this comment ( and
> he swore he had a degree in putas :-(
Well I will not comment about the Tech any more. I did say that there was no such thing as "AMD RAM" and Godfather and Highlander said the same.
There is no need to feel worried in my opinion. I misread a post you made and wasn't sure about what sort of RAM you needed.

> Oh well, I usualy depend on you guys in F1 and at
> least one of my now grown up tutors who is in the
> trade- and quoted his two prices in a previous
> reply.
:-)

> To irritate matters more- this itinerant tech dropped
> by here - had a look at the ram sockets and said that
> the P1 puta that he was replacing had different ram
> and it would not fit--- hence my query ( I would
> have bought that old P1 for bits but for his
> comments)
>
> Right how do I contact you - I live in the north end
> of Tramway Road in Hamilton- I have used my address
> on this forum- Susan B even knows my name ( and she
> sounds nice at that ;-)
I live in Tokoroa abuot an hour south of you

> The last time I used my address I ended up with 90
> unsolicited spam a day until I paid for and
> installed mailwasher- now down to about a dozen
>
> I am very tempted, because of the success of
> f mailwasher- to print the address again
You can now contact me via Email use:-
elephant at lakes net nz

My offer still stands. Some SDRAM assuming it fits for $0,00.
This also assumes it works for you.

> perhaps the white pages online will get you my phone
> number and we can discuss things like civilized
> persons

Being as I have been a litle busy I did not get back to your post.
Also it is now about 03:35 am on Thu 12th Aug 2004 so I decided not to phone you right now.
>
> Eddie Chibnall aka effie c ---
>
> By looking at the address etc ,you might even be
> able to see how I arrived at my pseudonym :-)
>
>
Well you won't need Mailwasher for the phone number.

I am sure that you won't get spam there.