PDA

View Full Version : OT: I predict a virus attack



robsonde
10-08-2004, 02:53 PM
this post is a prediction, it is not based on any facts of any kind.



in about 7 weeks there will be a worm that will bhe very fast spredding.

this worm will affect all XP home and pro systems that do not have SP2 installed.

MS will point out that the patch has been out for many weeks, the over all effect will be that %80 of people will fet SP2 to stop this worm.


can anyone guess why i make this prediction??

( no i have not writen a worm :-) )

Zippity
10-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Well it is certainly not with intelligence that you have written :(

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Im going to add to this prediction:

When this worm does come about - Myself and several other Non-WindowsXP users (Including those who run Win98, bless them) will kick back and smile because we're immune ;-)

sarel
10-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Aaaah and with me on ME I'm buggered too.

Hnffffff

Sarel

metla
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I like worms,Work steamrolls and the cash comes a rollin on in.

I saya ROLLIN on in.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Im with Metla - Without Microsoft I'd be outa work!

All praise to MS! :p

stu120404
10-08-2004, 04:33 PM
> can anyone guess why i make this prediction??

I was going to say because of the Olympics & 9/11 But all that happens in the middle of 7 weeks & after I got my Calendar out & counted out 7 weeks from today(10/08/04) 7 weeks is at the end of September aprox(+ or a day or two)

Growly
10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I predict the end of mankind at the same time, so you're wrong.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 04:50 PM
> I predict the end of mankind at the same time, so
> you're wrong.

You mean an end, like the Y2k-bug was going to be? ;-)

robsonde
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
> > can anyone guess why i make this prediction??
>
> I was going to say because of the Olympics & 9/11 But
> all that happens in the middle of 7 weeks & after I
> got my Calendar out & counted out 7 weeks from
> today(10/08/04) 7 weeks is at the end of September
> aprox(+ or a day or two)

my prediction is nothing to do with 9/11 or the olympics......



think more computer,MS, hackers......

mister harbies
10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
The reason for this prediction is Microsoft will launch this worm in order to make people upgrade to SP2, therefore more sales of their operating system from those who pirated xp because they can not download sp2.

I know its complicated and wrong :)

Worth a try right? Any prizes for the correct answer?

Mister Harbies

robsonde
10-08-2004, 06:45 PM
> The reason for this prediction is Microsoft will
> launch this worm in order to make people upgrade to
> SP2, therefore more sales of their operating system
> from those who pirated xp because they can not
> download sp2.
>
> I know its complicated and wrong :)
>
> Worth a try right? Any prizes for the correct
> answer?
>
> Mister Harbies





thats the one!!!

I was making my perdiction with basicly this thinking........

if virus/worm writers wanted to use SP2 as a big cookbook of holes in XP they would have done it by now.

in about 4 weeks the CDs will be at every computer shop in the world just waiting to be picked up for free.

in about 7 weeks anyone who has not installed SP2 is either so lazy that they wont ever install it or has a pirated copy of XP.

at this point MS launch a worn and use it as a big stick to push lazy people to get SP2.

just my thoughts...........

lets see what happens in about 7 weeks :-)

mikebartnz
10-08-2004, 06:57 PM
>has not installed SP2 is either so lazy
Some people just use a computer and don't follow what is going on, so while some of them will be lazy most will just be ignorant of it. If the PC is working they are happy.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I can guess why you have made this prediction.
You may well be correct as well. Who am I to argue?

I will predict that some of those people who downloaded WinXP Service Pack 2 and installed will also increase the number of posts here asking for help.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
I thought they changed it so that the final SP2 would install on pirated keys, including the devilsown? (*****......)

This was because they didnt want tons of un-patched boxes making headaches for people by passing on Viruses!

[Edited by: Moderator on Aug 10, 2004 7:17 PM]

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
> Im going to add to this prediction:
>
> When this worm does come about - Myself and several
> other Non-WindowsXP users (Including those who run
> Win98, bless them) will kick back and smile because
> we're immune ;-)

So why download Win XP SP2? If your computer ain't broken then there is no need to fix it.

You have gone on record as having downloaded SP2 have you not?

drcspy
10-08-2004, 07:10 PM
praise be to MS and their screwy systems and their security holes......and praise be to the ignorance of the average user who may or may not have AV and may or may not know it's gotta be updated and may or may not have firewalls and may or may not be aware of the need for MS updates...........and may or may not be aware of spyware and the problems that it can bring.......they all add up to more $$$ for us techs ......

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 07:12 PM
^^ Well said ^^

Elephant:
I have customers who run Windows XP, and for that reason I need WinXP SP2 ;-)

robsonde
10-08-2004, 07:12 PM
> I thought they changed it so that the final SP2 would
> install on pirated keys, including the devilsown?
> (*****......)
>
> This was because they didnt want tons of un-patched
> boxes making headaches for people by passing on
> Viruses!

this was a MS idea at one time.....

like so many good ideas it was pass by managment and that was the end of it.

as far as i have been told by MS a few weeks ago "it will NOT install on pirated keys"

[Edited by: Moderator on Aug 10, 2004 7:17 PM]

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:14 PM
> I like worms,Work steamrolls and the cash comes a
> rollin on in.
>
> I saya ROLLIN on in.

Bearing in mind that MOST people use Microsoft operating systems of one kind or another and quite a few people don't know how to change things in the O/S then you can charge for your knowledge can you not?

I have a car and don't know all about the motor at this point in time. I know how to check oil levels, power steering levels and brake levels etc

.

Moderator
10-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Chilling_Silence - Lets keep the posting of illegal Product Keys out please :-)

Growly
10-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I completely agree with Chill (as usual).

I still maintain that the end of mankind will come upon on us then - in the form of giant man eating chinchilla's from outer space.


Or a global shortage of keyboard keys,

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
> The reason for this prediction is Microsoft will
> launch this worm in order to make people upgrade to
> SP2, therefore more sales of their operating system
> from those who pirated xp because they can not
> download sp2.
>
> I know its complicated and wrong :)
What? As far as I know you can maybe download SP2 even with a key that is shonky. You can find that when you try to install the download you may have a problem.

I went to a person today whom had done the download and installed SP2. That person had a few problems. I asked for the original disks and they were not available.

I am getting to the point where after building a computer I should have a folder in which I keep all their driver disks ( motherboard, vga, modem, sound etc.) I mean a paper type folder rather than a folder or directory on my computer. Give the buyer the original and I make duplicates as a backup for them.

> Worth a try right? Any prizes for the correct
> answer?

I don't know and don't care.

> Mister Harbies

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:42 PM
> thats the one!!!
>
> I was making my perdiction with basicly this
> thinking........
>
> if virus/worm writers wanted to use SP2 as a big
> cookbook of holes in XP they would have done it by
> now.
Possibly.

> in about 4 weeks the CDs will be at every computer
> shop in the world just waiting to be picked up for
> free.
Even less than that maybe.

> in about 7 weeks anyone who has not installed SP2 is
> either so lazy that they wont ever install it or has
> a pirated copy of XP.
It took me some time to install SP1. Why do I do it if I keep firewall running and antivirus up to date? My computer was not broken. Why fix it?

> at this point MS launch a worn and use it as a big
> stick to push lazy people to get SP2.
>
> just my thoughts...........
>
> lets see what happens in about 7 weeks :-)
Let us see what happens on PressF1 and other forums for those that installed SP2.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 07:54 PM
> >has not installed SP2 is either so lazy
> Some people just use a computer and don't follow what
> is going on, so while some of them will be lazy most
> will just be ignorant of it. If the PC is working
> they are happy.

So if I get a job as I know MS Office and can create and design a spreadsheet in Excel and can create templates and I work at XYZ Company. What happens if I want to take work home?

I think that most people will not need SP2 for WinXP. I don't think I need it for example.

I have in fact today got SP2 but it is not yet installed.

The first thing I will do is to Ghost my current working hard drive to another hard drive before doing an install of SP2

Elephant
10-08-2004, 08:06 PM
> ^^ Well said ^^
>
> Elephant:
> I have customers who run Windows XP, and for that
> reason I need WinXP SP2 ;-)

So I guess your Customers need it possibly. If you don't like any version of Windows then why not tell them they need a computer running Linux, BeOS, Lindows, MSDos 3.3, PCDos etc ad nuaseam?

Why do you think some of your customers run a Microsoft Operating system? They also run Microsoft applications.

I generally ask what applications people will need to run then work out what O/S is needed and what Processor and how much RAM

Growly
10-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Got post?

Growly
10-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Hold on - I just realised that those posts seemed somewhat tense - where is the anger coming from?

Baldy
10-08-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm with Elephant on this one.

Oh and I predict that Bill Gates will throw away his glasses and get contacts. And a trendy makeover.

metla
10-08-2004, 09:52 PM
What MS have done with the keys and sp2.

Obviously they banned the devilsown key,and then they discoved that the keygen doing the rounds gives a key that when used the system generated number has three digits in a certain range 90 percent of the time.

Off the top of my head if the second set of numbers are inbetween 640 and 646 then it won't install.

Can ya follow?

I could probbaly explain it better.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 09:58 PM
> I'm with Elephant on this one.
>
> Oh and I predict that Bill Gates will throw away his
> glasses and get contacts. And a trendy makeover.

Well I guess he can afford it. That is of course if he wanted to.

Elephant
10-08-2004, 10:07 PM
> > I predict the end of mankind at the same time, so
> > you're wrong.
>
> You mean an end, like the Y2k-bug was going to be?
> ;-)

No an end like the second coming. It has to be that.
Actually I am reading a book at the moment that mentions the "Third Coming" in later chapters.

Now I know you all want to know what I'm reading don't you.

"Across Realtime" by Vernor Vinge. Page 399

All spelling checked and correct. :-)

Growly
10-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Qu'est-ce que vous parlez maintenant?

TonyF
10-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Mais ici on parle gobblydegook... ?

kiki
10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
So... are you all implying that Microsoft will release a worm of their own to make users upgrade? That would be pretty low, even for them.

More likely you will see some clever person create a worm that only works on SP2 and wreaks havoc, effectively making everyone want to downgrade to SP1. That would be such a laugh.

Rob99
10-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Exactally what I was thinking Kiki

R2x1
10-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, given that worms etc. are usually small, released quickly, and certain other things (winks darkly), I would suspect that it is fairly safe to say MS won't be firing any out there just yet. (Imagine a worm with patches, hot-fixes etc.)
:D
R2

Murray P
11-08-2004, 12:25 AM
> Well, given that worms etc. are usually small,
> released quickly, and certain other things (winks
> darkly), I would suspect that it is fairly safe to
> say MS won't be firing any out there just yet.
> (Imagine a worm with patches, hot-fixes etc.)
> :D
> R2

Lol, now we're getting somewhere with the crystal ball.

Ok! I've given it another rub. One worm, it'll be 3MB and 9 weeks late, 6 weeks later there will be a critical update of 2.9MB so that it works but then that will need a hotfix because the vector will spit it out without delivering it, RC1 will begin testing somtime in 2005, you'll get the final, all 50+ MB on a CD with the SP2 patches late 2005.

Cheers Murray ;P

R2x1
11-08-2004, 01:02 AM
ROFLMAO Murray P At least it'll be the first worm with a helpdesk 0900 number.
R2

mikebartnz
11-08-2004, 01:13 AM
>clever person create a worm that only works on SP2 and wreaks havoc,
Some people, especialy businesses using web apps are going to find SP2 a worm on its own.

Chilling_Silence
11-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Surely it cant be that hard to write a bit of assembly that would kill the XP Firewall? Apparently it can be done from the command line......

mikebartnz
11-08-2004, 01:48 AM
What have they made it so it is bloody hard to remove their firewall. I would sooner rely on ZA or another than the MS one.

Old Tom
11-08-2004, 05:09 AM
I don't know,MS try to sort out the problem and what thanks do they get;)

R2x1
11-08-2004, 06:16 AM
What thanks did the polio virus get for racing 'round at all hours of the night crippling people?:|
R2

Old Tom
11-08-2004, 07:51 AM
A misguided analogy to say the least.

95% of the world use ms and are happy on the whole,which can't be said for the polio victims,I would have thought;)

Winston001
11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
La plume de ma tante ne pas d'essence.

chiefnz
14-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Well it certainly is an interesting point to ponder on.

I guess it would be a stroke of financial genius on the part of MS and also probably a good way to get one back on pirated software... however as has been previously stated it would be suicide for them to prevent pirated copies of Windows to have SP2 installed on them.

It would be cataclysmic I suppose... there would be a significant number of "unsafe" unpatched computers on the world wide web. This would obviously prove to be seriously bad for global business.

To be honest it makes me quite nervous knowing that MS might actually consider doing something as drastic as that.

cheers

chiefnz

Murray P
14-08-2004, 05:50 PM
It would be one way to prove or disprove some of the figures put out by the BSA. For that reason alone I don't think it will happen.

Cheers Murray P

Rob99
15-08-2004, 01:12 AM
> I guess it would be a stroke of financial genius on the part of MS and also probably a good way to get one back on pirated software...

It would take a good pirate about 1 day or less to get it going, and a few seconds to share it to the world. It would probally be a welcome challenge to most pirates out there.

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Two things:

Its A:
Not hard to find legit keys online (Which I wont go into)
B:
Easy as to get a keygen that generates WinXP Pro Corporate Keys
C:
Possible to patch the pidgen.dll file.

If somebody was hell bent on it, it aint difficult to find out how to!

robsonde
30-09-2004, 06:28 PM
> this post is a prediction, it is not based on any
> facts of any kind.
>
>
>
> in about 7 weeks there will be a worm that will bhe
> very fast spredding.
>
> this worm will affect all XP home and pro systems
> that do not have SP2 installed.
>
> MS will point out that the patch has been out for
> many weeks, the over all effect will be that %80 of
> people will fet SP2 to stop this worm.
>
>
> can anyone guess why i make this prediction??
>
> ( no i have not writen a worm :-) )
>
>




and here we have it........


If you're one of about 200 million people using older versions of Windows and you want the latest security enhancements to Internet Explorer, get your credit card ready.

Microsoft this week reiterated that it would keep the new version of Microsoft's IE Web browser available only as part of the recently released Windows XP operating system, Service Pack 2. The upgrade to XP from any previous Windows versions is $99 when ordered from Microsoft. Starting from scratch, the operating system costs $199.

this and the JPEG issues make for a big push by MS for everyone to get SP2.