PDA

View Full Version : downloader.xren.a

Brain_Cell_Anon
10-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi people.
I have come across a trojan horse (via AVG) called 'downloader.xren.a'.
Now I have heard this mentioned before at my work, but can find little, if nothing useful on the net. There does not appear to be any recognition from the major antivirus companies. Nothing in their virus vaults, nothing in their removal tool list and not a lot on any forum.

Any body got any clues as to what it does (if anything) and how to get rid of it (removal tool maybe) or I guess the big question is.... has any body else heard of it????????????

Regards,
The Cell

R2x1
10-08-2004, 01:13 AM
You may find this page (http://computercops.biz/postp261398.html) helpful in your hour of need. Seems like a nasty little virus indeed. Are you running AdAware ?
Incidentally, AVG seems to be catching a few nasties the some of the expensive anti-virus products miss.
R2

drcspy
10-08-2004, 05:49 AM
yes I'd agree.........within the last six weeks I've had four occasions where AVG caught nasties that norton, (up to date and all.....) completely missed.......

Brain_Cell_Anon
10-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi R2x1
Am I running AdAware? Er, yes! Don't tell me that's the problem!?!?

Had a look at the link and have downloaded 'Hijack_This'. I little bit skeptical (well nervous) as the description itself says its use is by hackers et all! But will try any thing if needs be.

Will continue the good cause!! (??)

Regards,

The Cell

R2x1
11-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Hi BCA,
LOL , no, I didn't mean to imply that AdAware would be the culprit, just that if it is up-to date and run regularly, it should have put a spoke in the viral wheel. I f you follow the advice in that link, your chances of getting the little beast out are pretty good.
There is a new AdAware out that is faster and finds extra nasties; Update will offer you the choice, and it is a real no-brainer to install. Also Spybot S&D has a new version out (Still beta as yet) that may well get a round of applause for it's efforts. If you want to try the beta version, you have to go to settings, and select beta versions (about half way down the page). Then update, selecting either the Aussie or USA site, and away it goes.
With these two in use, possibly you won't need to do anything further. We hope!
Good luck
R2