PDA

View Full Version : blinking bell on taskbar

MANZIANA
09-08-2004, 05:23 PM
A blinking bell has appeared on my task bar. Anyone know what it signifies? How do I get rid of it? Ad-aware doesn't remove it.

Growly
09-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Where is it on the taskbar? Do you have a screenshot?

Pheonix
09-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Microsoft works reminder?

Jen C
09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
What happens if you hover the cursor over it - any pop up ballons? Also try right-clicking on it and see what options you get. This may give you a clue to its origin. Do you have incredimail installed? A blinking bell can indicate an update is available for this program.

metla
09-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Ive seen that bell befor,its nothing malicious but i can't remember exactly what it was.

Either hover your mose over it or right-click it to get its identity

johnboy
09-08-2004, 06:36 PM
What happens when you hover your mouse over it .
have a look Here (http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18185)
hth

MANZIANA
14-08-2004, 02:52 PM
It appeared at Startup on the Notification Bar. But I think I've solved the problem. It seems to have been connected with Incredimail. I found I could stop it at Startup by going to Run/msconfig/Startup and 'unticking' Incmail. It then started to appear whenever I used Incredimail - so I have gone to taskbar menu/ properties/ customize and set álways hide'.
Thanks.

MANZIANA
14-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Hovering over it gave the message "Take advantage of the Hot Summer Sale". Right click gave the two option menu: Open Message ; Leave it.
I did not attempt to open it .I don't think it's doing any harm - it was just annoying me. Now it's still 'there', but I can't see it.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

mr_rix
14-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Your using the free version of Incredimail, right?
That thing is trying to make you buy the full version.
Hope that helps :)