PDA

View Full Version : Removing Real Player

Terry Porritt
09-08-2004, 10:23 AM
I have been trialling Media Player Classic as an alternative to both Real Player and Windows Media Player.

I refuse to upgrade to Windows Media Player 9 as if you read the fine print agreement, you sell your soul to Microsoft and give them permission to do whatever they like on your computer :)

I knew that Real Player put a lot of entries into the Registry, but I had to manually delete the Real files and then run Registry First Aid, as at sometime, one of the cleaners I have said that the Real uninstaller was invalid, so it got swept away!

Anyway the registry cleaner found and removed 292 Real registry entries!

Regcleaner then found more. It's unbelievable why there would be so many.

For those who want a small simple alternative to either Real Player or Windows Media Player or both, then the freeware Media Player Classic could be the answer.

It can be downloaded here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/), 1.2MB, with versions for WIN98/ME and Win2k/XP

bonzo29
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
You are so right about Real Player but certain worthy sites for example the BBC only work with RP or am I wrong?

metla
09-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Real Player alternative should work with the sites that insist on realplayer.

The alternative brand players are just an old version of wmp with the real player codecs,and i would presume its been fiddled with to identify itself as real player.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player.

You do need a player that is capable of playing RealMedia. The included Media Player Classic supports it and works very well. Supported: RealAudio (.ra .rpm), RealMedia (.rm .ram .rmvb .rpx .smi .smil), RealText (.rt), ReadPix (.rp), RealMedia embedded in webpages. .smi and .smil files sometimes only play the first part of a clip. This is a limitation of the current Media Player Classic. The RealMedia Browser plugin supports Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape and Mozilla.

Features of Real Alternative 1.23 Final:

- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.8.2]
- RealMedia Codecs [version 6.0.12.872]
- RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.0.0.9]
- RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer [version 6.0.12.872]
- RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape [version 6.0.12.872]
- Bandwidth settings tool