PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 on September PCW CD

Biggles
09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Folks, we'll be putting the XP SP2 CD on September PC World. This means we won't be running the normal CD, that will resume normal service in October. So if you're not up to the massive download and can wait till September grab it from us.

sarel
09-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Beauty - thanks Bruce I'll wait for your CD

Sarel

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Are you going to be making a special CD for Elephant with the Pro and Home editions of the Service Pack on it?! ;-)

pulling hair out
09-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks Bruce.

Wasn't looking forward to the long download.

Will there also be a long article in the magazine re: lots of good hints, shortcuts, what to look out for etc. ?

I'm in no rush as yet anyway.

Regards Marg.

Mike
09-08-2004, 02:22 PM
> So if you're not up to the massive download

Downloaded it last night - didn't take too long :D

Mike.

Dak2
09-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Where from, I havn't been able to d/load it yet.

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2004, 03:35 PM
You've gotta be on the Beta team, or search through iLikeLinux recent posts - He posted a .torrent :-)

FeuerBrennt
09-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Woo hoo Thanx Bruce!

Mike
09-08-2004, 04:04 PM
> Where from, I havn't been able to d/load it yet.

windowsbeta.microsoft.com

I think you have to be a registered beta tester first though.

Mike.

Growly
09-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Ta.

falvrez
09-08-2004, 06:02 PM
don't wanna be a gloater, but...downladed trial version of Video Studio 8 after reading the review in latest PCW - 132MB at a steady 600KB/s on our Jetstream connection.
Life is good (when you're at work with a fast connection!).

drb1
09-08-2004, 06:20 PM
> Folks, we'll be putting the XP SP2 CD on September PC
> World. This means we won't be running the normal CD,
> that will resume normal service in October. So if
> you're not up to the massive download and can wait
> till September grab it from us.

This is probably a stupid question. Will it be the full cd with all the deployment tools and extras, as on the full company release? Which are not in all the download's, or the auto update's.

fergie
09-08-2004, 06:51 PM
COOL!

Megaman
09-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks you bruce :D

*me hates Dial-up*

somebody
09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Excellent. Can I just ask if it's the final release of SP2, or the beta version?

kiki
09-08-2004, 10:13 PM
I hope they fixed all the problems since SP2 RC2. That was very buggy, apps crashing left, right and center.

Mike
09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
> Excellent. Can I just ask if it's the final release
> of SP2, or the beta version?

It's SP2 RTM (final release).

Mike.

Mike
09-08-2004, 10:31 PM
> I hope they fixed all the problems since SP2 RC2.
> That was very buggy, apps crashing left, right and
> center.

I've had no problems so far.

Mike.

stu120404
10-08-2004, 12:06 AM
> I hope they fixed all the problems since SP2 RC2.
> That was very buggy, apps crashing left, right and
> center.

I have been running SP2 RC2 (V.2149) for the last 4 days & I have not had any problems.

R2x1
10-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Will the November PCW have the SP2 bug-fix DVD initial issue ?

R2

kiki
10-08-2004, 09:28 AM
What is your uptime Stu?

I remember it was crashing programs after a few days continuous uptime. First to crash was Winamp, then other programs starting having errors and had to be closed down.

I'll download the latest one and see if it's any better. I'd rather have stability than the 'security'. I disable all of that memory hogging Security Centre anyway.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
We have a PC at work that ran for about a week no issues until I rebooted it because Windows didnt wanna clear the printer queue :-(

stu120404
10-08-2004, 12:41 PM
> What is your uptime Stu?

?:| ?:|

My computer Can go all day with out a restart
But as I shutdown down my computer at the end of every day, I don’t have much uptime.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
A day without a reboot is nothing - a week without reboot is what I would call stable. I easily go a week or two without downtime!

drb1
10-08-2004, 01:23 PM
> A day without a reboot is nothing - a week without
> reboot is what I would call stable. I easily go a
> week or two without downtime!

Is only 1 week (without any opperator fault induced reboots) an acceptable bench for stability, I would have thought 6 + weeks (ie 2 month end rolover's and a bit either side) minimum, or am I asking to much from Chrashdows.

Graham L
10-08-2004, 01:39 PM
In the days when computers were computers, any crash was a serious problem, and taken very seriously. The rule was "If you can measure the error rate, it's too high".

There is a patch for Windows 95 which is said to stop the automatic crash at 47.2 days. It didn't come with information on what you had to do to actually strike the bug. :D

drb1
10-08-2004, 02:11 PM
> In the days when computers were computers, any
> crash was a serious problem, and taken very
> seriously. The rule was "If you can measure the
> error rate, it's too high".
>
> There is a patch for Windows 95 which is said to stop
> the automatic crash at 47.2 days. It didn't come
> with information on what you had to do to actually
> strike the bug. :D

Std Win O.P. be that.

I worked on main frames for a particular Ak bank (the first to computerise it branches) before there was a Chrashdoze. If that thing even hinted it would chrash nobody went home untill it was fixed.

Big blue and Little blue service techs came and ran every were.

Today: Sorry our Microsoft server is down youll have to wait (sometimes days)

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 05:12 PM
My Gentoo 1.4 Server was up for 119 days before a Power Strike. During this time it had been re-compiled completely 4 times, had 5 system upgrades (except the kernel) and was constantly hosting http, ftp, jabber, and samba!

This was on a 300Mhz with 256MB Ram and an old 10GB XBox Hard Drive.

That should be called stable!
...Im also looking in to this "quick reboot new kernel" technology that skips out the POST'ing of a system and unloads the kernel somehow before re-loading a new one. Looks good!

-=JM=-
10-08-2004, 05:55 PM
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.max.html

Now that is uptime.

J ZEP
10-08-2004, 06:19 PM
> Folks, we'll be putting the XP SP2 CD on September PC World. So if you're not up to the massive download and can wait till September grab it from us.

Excellent, thanks Bruce ;-). Its great that your putting it on the cd so close to the release date, will be most handy :-).

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2004, 07:58 PM
WTF? 6 years??

Growly
10-08-2004, 09:54 PM
OMG. I'd love to run that beast.

Pssst - I'd hate to DoS them abouts now...

-=JM=-
11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Yep, 6 years. Some rather impressive stuff.

sal
11-08-2004, 09:06 PM
> Where from, I havn't been able to d/load it yet.

another place would be http://sp2torrent.com/

FeuerBrennt
12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
The problem with SP2... (http://theinquirer.net/?article=17782)

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Such things will always happen though - Its not a biggie... Just programmers that didnt follow "standards" will be bitten :p

Elephant
13-08-2004, 01:23 AM
> I worked on main frames for a particular Ak bank (the
> first to computerise it branches) before there was a
> Chrashdoze. If that thing even hinted it would chrash
> nobody went home untill it was fixed.
>
> Big blue and Little blue service techs came and ran
> every were.
>
> Today: Sorry our Microsoft server is down youll have
> to wait (sometimes days)
Was that using a mainframe in Auckland about 1968 - 70. PDP11 as opposed to a Burroughs B3500. Were the original applications written using COBOL as the programming language?

Did you have to get the programs you wrote put on punched cards?
Tied up with a big rubber band or you can drop them on the train.

I remember those days.

If it is what I think then this may well be ASB

Apteryx
14-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Thats good news thanks.
But is it the version everyone is currently downloading? because according to the MS XP Support Group there are massive problems with it, so Im not going near it until I hear nice things from PF1.
Will there be an analysis in Sept Issue?

Why is MS so keen to get everyone using it? Ive never been bombarded with so many messages to update from so many sites for earlier versions?

Mike
14-08-2004, 06:21 AM
> Group there are massive problems with it, so Im not
> going near it until I hear nice things from PF1.

I'm running it, am having no problems, and I think its nice :p

> Why is MS so keen to get everyone using it? Ive never
> been bombarded with so many messages to update from
> so many sites for earlier versions?

Microsoft is keen to get everyone to use it because they came under so much fire over the blaster and sasser worms and their "automatic" updating system etc. and how certain updates can help against worms but very few people had actually updated their machines. Since then Microsoft have been quite proactive at getting their updates out, and publicising the fact that the updates are there and that they recommend you download them for the safety and security of your computer.

Mike.

Vince
14-08-2004, 01:19 PM
> This is probably a stupid question. Will it be the
> full cd with all the deployment tools and extras, as
> on the full company release? Which are not in all the
> download's, or the auto update's.
>
Has this question been answered yet? Vince

kiki
14-08-2004, 10:38 PM
There could be many reasons why Microsoft want everyone to upgrade to SP2. I can think of all sorts of devious reasons which might factor into the equation.

drb1
16-08-2004, 05:10 PM
> Did you have to get the programs you wrote put on
> punched cards?
> Tied up with a big rubber band or you can drop them
> on the train.
>
> I remember those days.
>
> If it is what I think then this may well be ASB
>
been away/

add a few years, remember the punch tape readers 3/4 the size of the average refrigerator, and the need of ear muffs. (dont you dare drop that tape reel (14" diameter))

tedheath
19-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I bought a laptop with a rabbit version of XP already on, it updated itself alright even thought the guy I bought it from saying dont try an update. Will rabbit versions be able to incorporate the service pack?

tedheath

metla
19-08-2004, 03:44 PM
We can only hope so.

And wth are you doing asking for suport for pirated software?

metla
19-08-2004, 03:45 PM
whoops,that was meant to be hopefully it will be incompatible with pirated versions,it will depend on the serial number used.

mejobloggs
26-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Just noticed that http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Order it free. I would rather pay and have a magazine with it though :-)

Vince
27-08-2004, 02:30 AM
> Just noticed that
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/s
> 2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> Order it free. I would rather pay and have a magazine
> with it though :-)

I just clicked on that url and got this,-

We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page matching your entry.

Vince?

godfather
27-08-2004, 11:38 AM
<sigh>

This forum does not handle URL's that word wrap in the input window.

Thats what "formatting options" are for.

This is the link to the MS Website (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx)

Its only a matter of removing the "%20" (HTML space) that gets inserted into the URL though, not a biggie.

</sigh>

FrankS
28-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Suggest have a look at following before installing SP2. Certainly intend using the CD in about a months time after perusing any forums on programmes of interest. It is causing hiccups with some genealogy programmes. With Windows XP fully updated SP2 wanted 5 1/2 hours download with a 56k modem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

draftycloud
28-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Now let me see...........If I have a perfectly functioning PC with a top of the line Antivirus, Firewall and a great wireless network with it s own level of security..........should I use SP2 at all and risk this state of nirvana?!

drb1
29-08-2004, 02:37 AM
> Now let me see...........If I have a perfectly
> functioning PC with a top of the line Antivirus,
> Firewall and a great wireless network with it s own
> level of security..........should I use SP2 at all
> and risk this state of nirvana?!

Please make an immage copy of the hard drive first, its very hard/time consumeing, to tune them to the personally preferd state.

c_sinclair
29-08-2004, 10:54 AM
what is actually on SP2?? a whole lot of fixs that make other holes...
or does it have extras? some applications? fancy enchancements?

stu120404
29-08-2004, 12:47 PM
> what is actually on SP2?? a whole lot of fixs that
> make other holes...
> or does it have extras? some applications? fancy
> enchancements?

You might what to have a read back throw this thread & search Press F1 as there have been posts about what is in SP2 :)

Ashka
31-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Thank you for suppling the SP2 Cd.
The easy instructions were great too.
Now installed, no problems.

geekgirl
31-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks PCWORLD, I totally appreciated the CD of SP2. :) :*

TonyF
31-08-2004, 08:22 PM
It is causing hiccups with some
> genealogy programmes.
Hello Frank. Which genealogy progs are having problems ?
Cheers Tony

whistlerspa
31-08-2004, 11:49 PM
It's at microsoft.com - just pretend you're a network manager (about 265Mb)

whistlerspa
31-08-2004, 11:55 PM
> > Where from, I havn't been able to d/load it yet.
>
> another place would be http://sp2torrent.com/

The exact address is

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

FrankS
01-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi TonyF, Malcolm Austen who runs the KFHS list is currently complying a list of programmes affected by SP2. There was mail on the list which advised SP2 was affecting some versions of programmes, did'nt note details as they were not programmes I use. Have an enquiry with KFHS archives, will advise when I get more info.

Krazy Darcy
01-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Two things.

First re: what is in SP2 - The August 2004 issue of the New Zealand PC World had a substantial article on it (started at p22)

Second I did have a few problems with my sp2 (thanks NZ PC World for the disk :) ).

Firstly I had used bootXP to mod my boot screen. SP2 wouldn't install untill I had reinstated the original ntoskrnl file which bootxp had backed up. It then installed ok. SP2 rebooted the machine at the end - everything still fine. Afterwards I shut the computer down and had dinner I decided to do email. Turned my xp box back on and it wouldn't boot properly - 1/2 way thru booting it would reset itself in an endless loop with no error msg.

Being a brand name machine with only "system restore" disks, I couldn't try a "repair" install of windows. So the only thing I could do was a "system restore". I chose the windows and format option and when that was done I installed sp2 without a hitch over the "fresh" windows

I am installing my applications at the mo (typing this on second pc).

One other thing was the fire wall had blocked the hotsync program of my palm pda even though it hotsyncs through usb (although also IR capable) and so this had to be enabled in the firewall. Has anyone had similar problems with their pda?

Laura
02-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Welcome to Press F1, Krazy Darcy
As you're new to the forum you may not realise that the yellow star beside this topic marks it as a "Sticky". So it stays at the top for reference, instead of moving down the page when overtaken by newer threads.
Consequently, it's not the best place to pose a question, as members who read it some time ago don't necessarily keep checking there.
You can find several threads with questions/comments about SP2 on this page & the preceding ones. It's been a constant topic for days.
If you want feedback, you'll do better by adding your post to whichever it seems to fit best. It'll return that thread to the top & more people will see it.