PDA

View Full Version : XP Welcome Screen Freezes

bk T
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM

This machine is behaving abnormally: it freezes at the Welcome log on screen; nothing happens when clicking on any of the user accounts. But it's back to normal when I press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" twice which brings up the W2K log on screen and then hit Esc key to return to the "Welcome Screen" again. Now, it's back to normal where I can click on the user account to log in.

Any clue at all? ?:|

andrew93
08-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Are you on a network or was the PC connected to a network? If so, this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816873) article might help.

bk T
08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
> Are you on a network or was the PC connected to a
> network?

No. it's a standalone machine.

Reformatted and reinstalled Windows 3 times already but remains the same.

bk T
09-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Can anyone help, please.

Cheers

tommy
09-08-2004, 09:56 AM
> when I press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" twice which brings up the W2K log on
> screen and then hit Esc key to return to the "Welcome Screen" again.

You say the computer has Windows XP yet mention the W2K log on screen. Does this mean the computer is dual booting?

bk T
09-08-2004, 10:03 AM
>
>
> You say the computer has Windows XP yet mention the
> W2K log on screen. Does this mean the computer is
> dual booting?

No. It is only XP. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice will bring up the W2k log on screen. I was trying to logon to Administrator and by 'accident', hit ESC and it's back to normal.

But when I reboot the system, the logon problem returns.

Cheers

Pheonix
09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Dual boot? Otherwise, why would you have a Windows 2000 (W2k) startup screen when you formatted and loaded XP?

bk T
09-08-2004, 11:51 AM
> Dual boot? Otherwise, why would you have a Windows
> 2000 (W2k) startup screen when you formatted and
> loaded XP?

Phoenix,

With XP, when I want to logon to Administrator (so that I can perform Administrative tasks, like disk management, installing programs, etc) I need to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and that will bring up the logon screen. Don't you that? All my other user accounts are limit accounts.

Forget about dual boot, as I've mentioned earlier, it's just Windows XP Professional.

Cheers

Berryb
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
The Win2K login screen is just another option for logging into Win XP. We use it in our domain where all users have to ctrl-alt-del to login. I'm not sure why you have the prob but try and disable all power management options from the control panel. Also remove any screensaver passwords or options to go to standby, hibernate etc.

Pheonix
09-08-2004, 01:30 PM
You live and learn...ta for the explanation.

Berryb
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Had another thought. When logged in as administrator or an administrator account go to control panel/ administrative tools/local security policy and see if "user to login with ctrl-alt-del" (or to that affect going by memory) is enabled, disabled or not defined. Change to disabled and reboot and see if that helps. If still no go to user accounts in control panel and under how users login untick the options for fast user switching and the other option and reboot and enable these options and reboot again. Just my thoughts at the moment, might work???

bk T
09-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks, guys for all the inputs.

Everything is behaving normally as it should after I downloaded & updated the mouse driver!

I can't really figure out any relationship between the mouse driver and those problems. Initially, I was only using the generic XP's driver for the mouse; and the mouse was not behaving normally - right-click button didn't work. I thought it was just a faulty mouse and was about to run to get a new mouse!!

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

djinn
01-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Hate to wake up an old thread .. but I had the same issue and this thread helped me out (came here via a Google search).

In my case, it was also the mouse driver that was the culprit (Logitech G5 mouse; setpoint 2.47 driver). I had to re-install the driver, then choose "SetPoint implementation" under the "Speed and acceleration" section.

Cheers, Djinn.